You can’t install Surfshark directly onto your Apple TV because the tvOS App Store doesn’t offer native VPN apps. To use Surfshark on Apple TV, you’ll have to set it up on a router, use AirPlay, or the VPN’s SmartDNS service.
After reading this guide, you’ll be able to access geo-restricted streaming apps, like HBO Max, Netflix, and BBC iPlayer, on your Apple TV.
Without further ado, here’s how to install and use Surfshark on Apple TV in no time.
Step-By-Step Guide to Install Surfshark on Apple TV
You can use one of the following methods to unblock and stream Apple TV content with your Surfshark VPN:
- Use Surfshark SmartDNS with Apple TV.
- Set Up a Virtual Router Using Your PC.
- Install Surfshark on your WiFi Router.
- AirPlay Using Surfshark From an iPhone or iPad.
Method 1: Use Surfshark SmartDNS With Apple TV
Setting up SmartDNS passes your internet traffic via DNS servers in the USA, unblocking content available there. Thus, you get AppleTV content that may be unavailable in your location.
Here’s how to set it up.
- Get a Surfshark subscription.
- Log in to your Surfshark account and Click “SmartDNS” on the left side of your screen.
- Click “Activate SmartDNS.”
- Note the four “DNS addresses” that appear.
- Navigate to “Settings” on your Apple TV.
- Choose ”Network.”
- If your Apple TV is connected to the Internet via WiFi, click on “WiFi.”
- Or select “Ethernet” if your Apple TV is connected to the internet through an Ethernet cable. In this case, I am using a WiFi connection.
- Click on the name of your WiFi Network.
- Click “Configure DNS.”
- On the next page, click “Manual.”
- Enter the DNS server address 1 obtained in step 4. Click “Done.”
If the DNS address is too short after you enter it, add a “0” in front of the second and third segments.
Also, if you can't access US Netflix or Hulu, try DNS Address 2,3 or 4 obtained in step 4 above.
- Head to “Settings.”
- Click “System.”
- Finally, click Restart.
Congratulations – you’ve successfully configured Surfshark’s SmartDNS on your Apple TV! You can now access Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and unblock other content streams.
Also, remember that SmartDNS doesn’t encrypt your connection or hide your IP.
It only redirects traffic from specific streaming sites to preferred proxy servers.
Method 2: Set Up a Virtual Router Using Your PC
I’ll use my Windows 10 PC for this method. I am also assuming that you’ve installed Surfshark on your PC. If you don’t have a Surfshark subscription yet, grab this awesome deal now.
- On your PC, click on “Settings,” then “Network and Internet,” and then “Mobile Hotspot” on the bottom left of your screen.
- Turn on “Mobile Hotspot.”
- On the top right-hand side of your screen, click “Change Adapter Options.”
- Look for a Surfshark adapter. Then right-click on it and select “Properties.”
- Click “Sharing” and check the box labeled “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.”
- Choose the home networking connection you’ve created on the drop-down menu that appears. In this case, it’s “Local Area Connection 10.”
- And that’s it! You can connect your Apple TV to your virtual router and enjoy.
Method 3: Installing Surfshark on Your Physical Router
Before you set up the VPN on your router, confirm if your router supports acting as a VPN client.
Surfshark has a helpful video to help you do that:
If it doesn’t, you’ll need to install third-party firmware. If it does, the process will look like this:
- Open the router configuration panel. To do this, enter your router’s IP address in your browser, just like a URL.
- For Windows 10 users, open the “Start” menu, type “Command Prompt,” and open the program. Then type “ipconfig” and press “Enter.” Your router’s IP address is on the “Default Gateway” line.
- For Mac users, head to “System Preferences.” Find and click the “Network” icon, select your network connection (WiFi, wired), and click the “Advanced” button at the bottom.
- Go to the “Network” window, and select the “TCP/IP” tab. You should see your router’s IP address listed as “Router.”
- Next, follow Surfshark guides for setting up a VPN. Here are Surfshark’s instructions for setting up a VPN on Tomato routers, Asus routers, and DD-WRT routers.
- Connect to the server of your choice.
- Finally, connect your Apple TV to your router. You should now be able to stream previously inaccessible content.
Method 4: Using AirPlay
In this method, you only need to connect to a Surfshark server through your iOS device and then screencast on Apple TV. However, you may not be able to AirPlay Netflix.
Follow the steps below to AirPlay content with Surfshark on Apple TV:
- Download and Install Surfshark on your iPhone or iPad.
- Connect your iOS device and Apple TV to the same WiFi network. This method may not work if you use mobile data.
- On your iOS device, connect to your preferred Surfshark server. For example, connect to a United Kingdom server location to unblock BBC iPlayer.
- Navigate to the streaming platform you want to access on your Apple TV. In this case, it’s BBC iPlayer.
- Click on the “AirPlay icon” in your screen’s top-right corner after you start watching.
- Under Speakers and TVs, click “Apple TV.”
- The movie/TV show automatically displays on your Apple TV.
What Makes Surfshark Great for Apple TV?
Surfshark’s real strengths for Apple TV are the rarely seen features it provides.
It works reliably with most streaming services, has fast download speeds, and uses top-tier encryption.
Here’s more on what you get with Surfshark on your Apple TV.
- Easy-to-use SmartDNS feature. Though limited, you can use the feature to quickly and safely unblock US Netflix and Hulu.
- Supports Mac and iOS. This is fantastic for using Surfshark on another device to AirPlay content to Apple TV.
- Optimized servers. Surfshark’s servers are optimized for all popular streaming platforms, including Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, Sling TV, and BBC iPlayer.
- Fast download speeds: Thanks to its WireGuard protocol, I could stream content in HD without buffering.
- A 30-day money-back guarantee. Before committing to a long-term subscription, you can test Surfshark on Apple TV for up to 30 days. Grab these Surfshark offers to save more and test the VPN risk-free.
Surfshark Apple TV Connection Failed? (Troubleshooting)
Surfshark is one of the best VPNs for Apple TV, but you might sometimes encounter a few problems. Here are common fixes to the issues I faced while setting up Surfshark on Apple TV:
- Switch servers: Connectivity issues are usually due to technical faults or server downtimes. Try connecting to a different server location on Surfshark.
- SmartDNS not working on Disney+: Try restarting your device or use the other three methods (virtual router, physical router, or Airplay).
- Verify that your Apple TV is connected to the same network as your phone: You can only AirPlay content when both devices are on the same WiFi network.
- Ensure your IP address is up-to-date in your Surfshark account: To update your IP address, navigate to the SmartDNS section of Surfshark’s website and click ”Change IP.” Surfshark will automatically update the IP address associated with your account.
- Create a country-specific Apple ID: Connecting to a Surfshark server in another country won’t change your App Store location. To change the country with Surfshark on Apple TV, your Apple ID must be tied to the region.
- Contact support: If you’re still having trouble, I suggest contacting Surfshark’s customer support for personalized assistance. You can reach out to them via email and live chat.
Can I Use Surfshark on Other Apple Devices Simultaneously With Apple TV?
You can simultaneously use Surfshark on other Apple devices while using it on Apple TV. The VPN offers unlimited multi-logins, ensuring a single subscription can connect as many devices as possible.
Will Using Surfshark on Apple TV Affect My Streaming Quality?
Using any VPN, including Surfshark, on Apple TV will affect your internet connection speeds, which may impact the content streaming quality.
However, Surfshark uses fast WireGuard and IKEv2 protocols and will maintain your connection’s quality to prevent buffering, lag, or content quality reductions.
Wrapping It Up
As you can see, it’s pretty easy to set up Surfshark on Apple TV.
And with this super-specific step-by-step guide, getting Surfshark on your Apple TV should be a walk in the park!
While Apple TV has a wide variety of content for users, your options get severely limited if you’re outside the US. This is where Surfshark comes in handy to bypass geographical restrictions and access all media streams from anywhere in the world.
Ready to unlock and stream geo-restricted content on Apple TV?
Grab our one-time Surfshark discount.