You can use PureVPN to stream geo-restricted content on your Apple TV through a VPN router, AirPlay, or by setting up an encrypted hotspot from another device compatible with PureVPN.
Apple TV not being compatible with VPN apps shouldn’t stop you from enjoying your movies and shows. So, I’ve broken down the steps to unblock content on your Apple TV anywhere and with PureVPN below.
How to Set Up PureVPN on Apple TV With a VPN Router?
You can set up PureVPN on a compatible VPN router:
- Check that your router is VPN-compatible (via the manual/manufacturer’s website). Or, purchase a router that’s VPN-compatible. Notable examples include Asus, DD-WRT, D-Link, and Linksys.
- Optional: Some routers can be made VPN-compatible by flashing custom firmware on top of them. There’s a helpful video guide for this below.
- Subscribe to a PureVPN plan using my exclusive discount deals.
- Set up PureVPN on your router using this detailed guide on routers like Netgear Genie, Linksys, Tomato, and pfSense.
- Once that’s set, connect your Apple TV to the encrypted WiFi from the router and access geo-restricted content.
How to Use PureVPN on Apple TV With Airplay?
Another easy way to stream content on your Apple TV with PureVPN is through AirPlay.
For this to work, you’ll need another Apple device (iPhone, iPad, or MacBook) compatible with PureVPN. Here are the steps I used with my iPhone:
- Subscribe to PureVPN for iOS.
- Install the VPN app on your iPhone from the App Store and launch it.
- Tap “Locations” from the left menu panel to open a list of servers and connect to a server of your choice. I connected to Ashburn, USA.
- Ensure your iPhone and Apple TV are connected to the same WiFi network.
- Start streaming the TV content you want to watch via your mobile phone/Apple device.
- Tap the AirPlay icon on the streaming screen.
- Locate your Apple TV on the list and connect.
- Anything you stream on your iPhone will be displayed on your Apple TV.
How to Use PureVPN on Apple TV via an Encrypted Hotspot?
The final method to stream shows and movies on your Apple TV is by setting up an encrypted WiFi hotspot using a Windows PC:
- Subscribe to a PureVPN price plan of your choice using our fantastic discounts.
- Download and install PureVPN on your Windows PC.
- Launch PureVPN and login with your username and password.
- Launch the VPN and tap the globe icon on the left panel to open the server list. Connect to a server of your choice, depending on what you want to stream. I went with a US server.
- Now open your Windows PC Settings.
- Click “Network and Internet” and toggle “Mobile Hotspot.”
- Scroll further down and tap “More network adapter options.” This will open a new window in the Control Panel.
- Find PureVPN, right-click on it, and select Properties.
- In the new window, click the “Sharing” tab and ensure the box next to “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” is checked.
- Under “Home networking connection,” choose your mobile hotspot connection from the drop-down list of network connections. Tap “OK” to complete the process.
- Now, switch to your Apple TV. Select Settings > Network.
- Select the hotspot network you’ve just created and enjoy geo-restricted content easily.
PureVPN Alternatives for Apple TV
While all these methods work smoothly with Apple TV, other VPN alternatives offer slightly more connection options, like SmartDNS, which PureVPN lacks.
The two most notable options include the following.
NordVPN offers a SmartDNS feature allowing you to stream anything you need on your Apple TV faster. The VPN is also compatible with routers like NetDUMA, DD-WRT, and Mikrotik, among many others.
Furthermore, NordVPN allows you to create a secure hotspot for your Apple TV or use the AirPlay feature with any Apple device.
Use these NordVPN discounts today and start enjoying a premium Apple TV VPN risk-free.
Like NordVPN, ExpressVPN offers a SmartDNS feature called Mediastreamer that provides faster speeds without encryption. You can use it for content available in the United States and some in the United Kingdom.
Besides the quicker Smart DNS unblocking, ExpressVPN can also set up an encrypted hotspot, enabling you to unblock content shared via AirPlay.
Grab your ExpressVPN deal to enjoy more content on your Apple TV.
You can stream in 4K on Apple TV with PureVPN using a compatible router, a WiFi hotspot, or AirPlay.
However, the streaming will be much smoother when using a compatible router than the other two methods. This is because the traffic has to go through an extra device before reaching Apple TV in other cases, causing possible speed drops.
Catch Your Favorite TV Shows and Movies Stress-Free
So there you have three reliable ways of using your Apple TV with PureVPN.
I recommend the PureVPN-router setup if you can access a compatible router.
But ultimately, go with what’s convenient for you.
Ensure you grab your PureVPN subscription with these unbeatable offers before they run out.