You can connect NordVPN to your Google Nest WiFi, but the installation process isn’t straightforward because Google Nest WiFi doesn’t directly support third-party VPN installation.
Instead, you’ll have to install NordVPN on another VPN-compatible router combined with the Google Nest WiFi device to secure internet-enabled units connected to the Google-made router.
Keep reading to learn how to use NordVPN with your Google Nest WiFi and secure all your devices from a single connection.
How to Connect NordVPN to Google Nest?
The best way to use NordVPN with Google Nest WiFi is to redirect Google Nest’s WiFi traffic through a VPN-compatible router that supports VPN installation.
So, for this process, you’ll need:
- A NordVPN account
- Your Google Nest WiFi
- An external, VPN-compatible router
Here’s how to get an ideal setup:
- Subscribe to NordVPN.
- Open the Google Home app on your Android or iPhone.
- Select “WiFi” then “Settings.”
- Select “Advanced Networking” and tap “LAN.”
- Enter 192.168.2.1 in the Router LAN IP address field and click “Save.”
- In the “Advanced Networking” section, enable DHCP if it’s turned off.
- Plug an Ethernet cable into the LAN port of your external router, and plug the other end into the WAN port of your Google Nest device.
- If your router supports third-party VPN installation, skip to the next step. Otherwise, flash your router with open-source firmware and follow up with the next step. I’ve attached a video guide to flashing your router with DD-WRT firmware below:
- Visit the NordVPN server download page to choose a server for your router.
- Under “Select country,” locate a country whose server you want to download.
- In the left side window, click “Show available protocols” and select “Download config” in the “OpenVPN UDP” section.
- Set up the chosen server on your external router. Check out this guide to install NordVPN on a router.
- Once installed, connect your devices to your Google Nest WiFi.
- You can now use the VPN via passthrough from the external router.
What Makes NordVPN Ideal for Google Nest WiFi?
NordVPN an ideal VPN for Google Nest WiFi for several reasons, and here are a few:
- NordVPN offers fast connection speeds and low latency for all devices connected to Google Nest WiFi’s mesh network. Hence, guaranteeing stellar gaming and download speeds while enjoying VPN protection.
- All devices connected to Google Nest’s mesh network are protected under NordVPN’s military-grade AES 256-bit encryption. In other words, that keeps hackers, ISPs, and other online snoops out of your online activities.
- Unblocking streaming services is much easier for everyone connected to the Google Nest WiFi. So, you can watch BBC iPlayer over a UK server, unblock Netflix US from a US server, and many more.
What to Do When Google Nest Stops Working When Using NordVPN?
When Google Nest doesn’t work with NordVPN or stops working when using NordVPN, disguise NordVPN from your ISP by trying the TCP protocol/service, port 443, on your router’s settings page.
If the above doesn’t help, download an obfuscated server type and install it on your router. These servers mask your VPN traffic as regular HTTPS traffic to bypass VPN traffic blocks.
Here’s how to download an obfuscated server and install it on your router:
- Visit NordVPN’s server download page.
- Choose a preferred server location using the “Select country” drop-down menu.
- Under “Select server type,” choose “Obfuscated.”
- Under “Select security protocol,” click “OpenVPN UDP Obfuscated.”
- Select “Download config” in the left-side window under the “OpenVPN UDP” section.
- Follow the rest of the installation guide from above.
And You're Set!
Although Google Nest WiFi doesn’t natively support NordVPN or any other VPN, you can download and install NordVPN on a different router and redirect traffic to Google Nest WiFi.
With this workaround, you can protect devices connected to your Google Nest with NordVPN’s superior protection.
And if you don’t already have a NordVPN subscription, grab these NordVPN discounts to save more.