Setting up NordVPN is a straightforward process on Android-based Smart TVs as you simply download the NordVPN app for Android TV and connect to a preferred server.
Unfortunately, this isn’t the same for Smart TV sets running on a different operating system. That’s because most of these operating systems aren’t compatible with the NordVPN app.
Luckily, you can set up NordVPN on these devices via its SmartDNS option, installing it on a router first or going the virtual router way.
Keep reading to learn more about the different setup methods.
How to Install NordVPN on Smart TV?
Smart TVs are open to online privacy and security risks. You may also face geo-restrictions when streaming some platforms or unblocking specific content libraries.
Luckily, you can eliminate these issues with NordVPN. Below are several ways to install NordVPN on your smart TV:
- Set Up NordVPN on Your Smart TV Directly
- Use NordVPN on Your Smart TV via a Router
- Set Up NordVPN via a Virtual Router
- Use NordVPN’s Smart DNS for Your Smart TV
- Casting & Mirroring
Method 1: Set Up NordVPN on Your Smart TV Directly
- Launch the NordVPN app and log in with your credentials. You can also choose to set up the NordVPN account (via QR code or login code) from another device (preferably mobile).
- Click “Connect Now” to select the nearest/fastest server. Or search the server list to choose a region from which you want to unblock content.
- You’ll receive a few default Android notifications for VPN connections. Click “OK” or “Continue.”
Method 2: Use NordVPN on Your Smart TV via Router
This method is best if your smart TV doesn’t support the native NordVPN app, like Android smart TVs.
How you choose to do this will depend on your router, as not all routers are supported. Here’s a video to know whether your router is compatible with the NordVPN software:
Once you’re sure of the compatibility, follow the simple video guide below to setup NordVPN on your router:
Method 3: Set Up NordVPN via a Virtual Router
For this process, you’ll need to share NordVPN via a wireless connection from your Windows PC.
- Connect your Windows PC to your network over WiFi.
- Type cmd in the Windows search bar to open the Windows Command Prompt.
- Right-click on the result and select “Run as administrator.”
- Type netsh wlan show drivers in the Command Prompt and hit the Enter key. If the Hosted network-supported line says Yes, you can set up a virtual WiFi adapter on your computer.
- Optional: If it says No, look for a newer version of your network adapter drivers and install them.
- Click the network icon in the system tray, then open “Network & Internet settings.”
- Click “Change adapter options.”
- Right-click on TAP-NordVPN Windows Adapter V9. Select “Properties.”
- Open the Sharing tab and check the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” box. Click “OK” after.
- Select “Local Area Connection” from the drop-down list and click “OK.”
- Launch the NordVPN Windows app and connect to a server.
- Connect your Smart TV to your PC’s mobile hotspot to share the same VPN connection.
Method 4: Set Up NordVPN on Smart TV Using Smart DNS
Smart DNS is ideal for bypassing simple geographical restrictions to access region-blocked content. Unfortunately, this method doesn’t provide enhanced encryption for your connection.
Nevertheless, follow these steps to set up NordVPN on your Smart TV using Smart DNS:
- Get a NordVPN subscription if you don’t have one already.
- Open your browser and log in to your NordVPN online account.
- Under “Services,” click NordVPN.
- In the SmartDNS card, click “Enable.” This will whitelist your IP address, allowing you to use NordVPN from your IP address.
- Access your Smart TV’s DNS settings (varies depending on the make and model of your Smart TV).
- Enter the NordVPN SmartDNS server addresses.
- Restart your smart TV to confirm the newly adjusted DNS settings.
Method 5: Casting & Mirroring
Casting or mirroring involves sending what’s on your computer or phone screen to a Smart TV using a cable or over a wireless connection.
Here’s how to combine a NordVPN connection with casting or mirroring to your Smart TV:
- Connect your streaming device (phone or PC) to the same network as your Smart TV.
- Launch NordVPN on the device and connect to a NordVPN server.
- Open the app with the content you want to cast/mirror onto the TV.
- Select the cast option in your app.
- Select the name of your Smart TV.
- Establish the connection.
That’s it! You’ve successfully cast content to your Smart TV using your phone.
Why NordVPN Is an Excellent VPN for a Smart TV?
NordVPN allows you to unblock and enjoy movies, shows, news, documentaries, sports, and other content you love on your Smart TV under advanced encryption protection.
You’ll also enjoy other security features such as:
- Large server spread – Enjoy 5,300+ servers in 59 countries to access/unblock content without limits, borders, or internet censorship.
- Router and SmartDNS support – Easily configure NordVPN for your smart TVs on your router via Smart DNS, eliminating the need for a native app.
- SmartPlay integration – Optimizes NordVPN for fast, buffer-less streams.
- No bandwidth throttling – NordVPN won’t throttle your connection, ensuring faster speeds to stream ultra HD and 4K content on your smart TVs.
- One-click privacy – NordVPN’s app is super intuitive, automatically connecting you to the nearest/fastest server through Quick Connect.
If you’re ready to start, enjoy NordVPN’s exclusive discount today (available for a limited time only).
What to Do When NordVPN Isn’t Working With My Smart TV?
If you’ve followed any of the methods above and successfully set up NordVPN but still can’t access geo-restricted content, there’s likely an easy fix.
Try any of the following troubleshooting tips:
- Confirm Your Subscription Status
You may have forgotten to renew your NordVPN subscription, or there’s an account activation problem on NordVPN’s side. Nevertheless, confirm that your subscription is still active.
- Switch Servers
NordVPN’s servers are reliable and stable. But if you’re having trouble with one server, disconnect and change to another.
You can disconnect from the current server and connect to another server from the NordVPN app on an Android TV.
But suppose you’re using a Smart TV that doesn’t support the NordVPN app.
In that case, choose another server hostname or protocol (for router setups) or update your Smart DNS settings.
- Activate the Kill Switch
Your actual IP address may leak if your connection is unstable.
So, activate the kill switch in the NordVPN dashboard (for Android TV apps) to keep this from happening again.
- Reinstall NordVPN
An error during setup may affect the NordVPN functionality, especially over the router.
If this is the case, reinstall the NordVPN configuration and see if the problem goes away. For recurring issues, reach out to NordVPN support for additional assistance.
Installing the NordVPN native app will do the trick on all Android-based TVs, and it’s one of the easiest ways to enable NordVPN on your Smart TV.
Nevertheless, the other methods also work to set up NordVPN on your Smart TV and enjoy seamless streaming across all platforms.
Don’t forget to take advantage of our one-time NordVPN discount to bypass regional restrictions on streaming platforms today!