You can set up and use PrivateVPN on your mobile devices and PCs in Canada by installing its dedicated app.
However, it doesn’t have VPN apps for gaming consoles and smart TVs.
So, it’s best to use its router installation method for these units.
But don’t let that intimidate you.
I’ll provide step-by-step guides to install the VPN on your devices so you can enjoy internet privacy from Bell, download torrents safely, or unblock international content.
How to Setup PrivateVPN on PCs and Mobile Devices in Canada?
PrivateVPN provides native VPN apps for mobile devices (iOS and Android) and PCs (Linux, macOS, and Windows). You can also install the VPN on Chromebook since it can run Android apps.
Here’s a simple guide to help you through this process:
- Get your PrivateVPN account (use these discounts).
- Download the PrivateVPN app for your device. You can get the mobile app from your app stores or grab the PC app from the PrivateVPN download page.
- Launch the VPN and log in with your account credentials.
- Click the power button or “Connect Now” to connect to the automatically chosen nearest/fastest server.
- Wait for the connection confirmation and test for leaks. Ensure the leak test returns the VPN server IP address.
- Stream BBC iPlayer, bypass Telus’ speed throttling, or unblock The Pirate Bay from Canada to download torrents!
How to Setup PrivateVPN on Gaming Consoles and Smart TVs in Canada?
PrivateVPN doesn’t have apps for smart TVs (except Android TVs) and gaming consoles. Thankfully, you can still use the VPN for these devices by installing it on your router.
Here’s how that works:
- Got your PrivateVPN plan handy? If not, grab these HUGE savings.
- Check that your router is compatible with VPNs. Otherwise, flash it with custom firmware, so it supports VPN installation.
- Install PrivateVPN on your router. Here’s a guide to do so.
- Connect your gaming console or smart TV to the router network.
- Your devices can now enjoy the encryption and new IP address broadcasted by the router.
Setting up is usually less technical and doesn't require purchasing new hardware (router).
If that interests you, you can check out alternatives like NordVPN and Surfshark, which offer reliable Smart DNS.
What’s the Best PrivateVPN Protocol for Canada?
PrivateVPN’s default OpenVPN (TUN+UDP+1194) (Default) protocol is the best protocol for Canada regarding speed and security balance.
Ensure to pair this protocol with the AES-256-GCM encryption to get the best security.
However, you may use the PPTP and L2TP protocols if you prefer speed over security.
Just know that most reliable VPN providers phased out these protocols due to security flaws.
Moving on, I tested each protocol over the Belgium – Brussels server using my 62Mbps network.
OpenVPN (TUN+UDP+1194) (Default) first recorded 58Mbps – a mere 4Mbps drop.
I switched to the PPTP protocol, which averaged 60Mbps – just 2Mbps faster than the OpenVPN protocol.
Thus, you don’t lose much speed compared to the less safe and unreliable PPTP/L2TP protocols.
What PrivateVPN Server Should You Connect to in Canada?
It’s best to connect to a PrivateVPN server in a region where you want to unblock content. For instance, you should connect to its UK – London server to unblock BBC iPlayer in Canada.
Alternatively, connect to a PrivateVPN Canada server to secure your online experience over the public Wi-Fi at Tim Hortons without losing access to Crave TV, CBC, and other Canadian content.
The VPN also has a dedicated IP address in Canada to avoid Captchas and bypass VPN IP detection on some systems.
Finally, you can connect to any PrivateVPN server to download torrents securely from Canada. PrivateVPN’s servers are all engineered with the same encryption, making it impossible for copyright trolls or your ISP to find out about your torrent activities.
How to Get a Canada IP Address on PrivateVPN?
Getting a Canadian IP address on PrivateVPN is as easy as setting the VPN up in Canada. I’ll also show you how to get its Canadian dedicated IP address in this guide:
- Grab a PrivateVPN plan.
- Download the VPN app for your device.
- Open the app and log in with your email and password.
- Click “Change” near the selected server location to open the server list.
- Search for “Canada” and click/tap the country to bring up available locations.
- Or switch to the “Dedicated IP” tab to locate its Canada – Toronto server present there.
- Click/tap any of the offered Canadian locations (Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver) to connect.
Setup PrivateVPN in Canada Today
PrivateVPN is an easy-to-setup VPN for Canada, besides the router method, which can take a while to perfect.
So, you can enjoy all PrivateVPN offers to unblock torrent websites, stream international content in Canada, play games without DDoS fears, and regain your internet privacy from Bell, TELUS, or other Canadian ISPs.
Grab these PrivateVPN deals before they expire to save on your subscription.