You can set up and use Surfshark VPN on Android TV by downloading the app from Google Play Store, inputting your login details, and connecting to a server.
However, to enjoy all Surfshark’s features, like fast streaming and privacy on your Android TV, you must tick all the essential boxes while setting it up.
Here, I’ll explain how to use Surfshark on Android TV, why Surfshark can be the best VPN you can use on Android TV, and what alternatives you can use otherwise.
Let’s get started.
What Do You Need to Set Up and Use Surfshark on Android TV?
Before you can use Surfshark VPN, you need
- A Surfshark subscription.
- An Android TV that runs at least Android 5.0.
- A router that’s compatible with Surfshark.
You can get a Surfshark plan here and enjoy a massive discount.
But if you’re an existing user, read on to learn how you can quickly set up Surfshark on your Android TV.
Use Surfshark on Android TV via the App
You must download and set up the Surfshark Android app from the Google Play Store to use this method.
- Connect your Android TV to the internet.
- Click on Apps and select Google Play Store.
- Click the Search icon and search for Surfshark VPN using the on-screen keyboard.
- Select install and open the app.
- Launch the app and click on Log In to input your details. If you don’t have an account, select Create Account.
- On the next page, click the Connect button and allow the prompt that will show on your screen.
Surfshark will connect you to its fastest available server.
But you can change the default server by clicking Locations and choosing your preferred server location.
Sideloading Surfshark to Your Android TV
If you can’t download Surfshark from Google Play Store, the next step is to sideload it from a trusted site or app.
Here’s how to safely sideload Surfshark VPN:
- First, install a trusted downloader like Downloader by AFTVnews.
- Enable apps to be installed from other sources by clicking the Security and Restrictions tab on your settings app.
- Toggle on the Downloader tab.
- Open the download and allow all necessary access.
- Paste Surfshark’s download URL and click Go.
- After downloading, install and click done.
- Surfshark is now available on your apps list, and you can open it to log in and connect to a server of your choice.
Using a Router to Set Up Surfshark on Android TV
Setting up Surfshark on your Android TV via a physical router is tricky but effective.
First, ensure your router is configured to work with a VPN and is preconfigured for L2TP or OpenVPN. Also, check if your router is compatible with a VPN.
After that, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the router’s control panel using the default gateway address. You’ll enter the default gateway (usually 192.168.1.1) on your browser’s address bar.
- Input the details written at the back of your router to access your router’s control panel.
- Select the VPN client and click Add profile. On the next page, you’ll see the following tabs: Description, Username, and Password. Put anything you like on the Description, and input your Surfshark username and password accordingly.
- Download a configuration file of the server you want to use, preferably a server based in the US, as it opens more US content.
- After downloading the configuration file, select the file, open it and click upload.
- Click on Activate to connect your router to your chosen server. A blue mark will show to indicate a successful VPN connection.
Depending on your router’s user manual, you may have to follow a different procedure.
For example, I used ASUS-WRT to configure Surfshark, so check your manual first.
Benefits of Using Surfshark on Android TV
Surfshark’s incredible features make it an ideal VPN on your Android TV.
Some of them are:
Surfshark has 256-bit AES encryption that completely conceals your Android TV’s IP address, allowing you to stream and browse anonymously.
Unlimited Device Connections
Arguably its best selling point, Surfshark enables users to use one subscription on all supported devices simultaneously, including Android TVs.
In addition, there’s no cap to its bandwidth, and users can enjoy buffer-free streaming on all connected Android TVs.
Unblock More to Watch More
Surfshark makes it easy to access geo-restricted content like Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, and other services available on your Android TV.
Use a server in the country of the service you want to stream on your Android TV.
Fast Speed Without ISP Throttling
I had no difficulty escaping my internet service provider’s frustrating throttling during my test using Surfshark.
In the latest episode of The Lord of the Rings (The Rings of Power), I had no buffering or incessant pauses.
Alternatives to Surfshark on Android TV
Suppose Surfshark’s unique features, low pricing, and unlimited device connections aren’t enough to convince you.
In that case, you can try any of the other top VPNs below.
With NordVPN, you can stream Netflix on your Android TV and download torrents for offline viewing. NordVPN’s Double VPN feature also ensures added privacy for your Android TV connection.
You can also download and set up NordVPN through Google Play Store with no need for side-loading or using a third-party installer.
As a fast and trusted VPN, ExpressVPN is excellent for Android TV.
There’s no bandwidth cap, and it uses a 256-bit encryption key for maximum security.
So, you can confidently use it on your Android TV to safely unlock more content.
You can install ExpressVPN’s app from Google Play Store or download it from its website.
With IPVanish, you can connect an unlimited number of devices to a single subscription, making it a top VPN for Android TV.
There’s a dedicated, user-friendly IPVanish app on Google’s Play Store for Android TV.
Does Surfshark Unblock Netflix on Android TV?
Yes, as I discovered during my conversation with Surfshark’s customer care, you can unblock Netflix with Surfshark on Android TV.
Here’s Surfshark’s response:
To confirm this claim, I connected to the New York server, and it unblocked US Netflix on my Android TV, which I used to watch Dynasty.
Frequently Asked Questions
Surfshark is safe to use on Android TV, as it meets all security and privacy demands.
Google—the Android operating system provider—also confirms that it’s safe to use Surfshark on supported Android TVs.
Additionally, Surfshark inspires confidence in its VPN by allowing independent audits from trusted organizations.