Setting up PrivateVPN on your Android TV is easy.
Just grab a PrivateVPN subscription, download the PrivateVPN app on your Android TV from the Google Play Store, log in to your account and activate the VPN connection.
If you can’t enjoy your favorite content on your Android TV due to geo-blocking, using a VPN is a simple way to get around those restrictions and access blocked content on your favorite streaming services.
Read on as I discuss multiple ways to set up PrivateVPN on Android TVs and other relevant tips.
4 Ways to Set Up PrivateVPN for Android TV
For starters, you’ll need the following:
- An active PrivateVPN subscription (Get an excellent deal here)
- An Android TV with the latest Android TV version
- Optional: A router with supported firmware
Here are detailed guides for each setup technique so you can choose the one that best suits your use case.
Use PrivateVPN on Android TV via the App
The easiest way to connect PrivateVPN with your Android TV is to use the PrivateVPN app available for the Android platform. To set this up, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Apps section of your Android TV interface using the remote and select Google Play Store.
- Search for PrivateVPN.
- Download and install the PrivateVPN app.
- Click the Open button to start the app.
- Log in to your account.
- On the following screen, click Allow.
- On the Connection Request prompt, click OK.
- On the Notification prompt, click Allow.
- On the app’s main screen, click the large power button (Quick Connect) to connect. You can also change the server location here if you want.
- Voila! Your Android TV will now use the PrivateVPN service.
Sideload the PrivateVPN APK to Android TV
If you can’t download and install the PrivateVPN app on your Android TV using the Google Play Store, or the Play Store isn’t available on your TV, you can sideload the PrivateVPN APK on your Android TV for the same functionality.
To get this done, follow these steps:
- Search and install the “Send Files to TV” app on your Android TV and Android phone.
- On your phone, go to this link and download the APK file for PrivateVPN. Ensure you only get the PrivateVPN apk file from trusted sources.
- Run the “Send Files to TV” app on your Android TV and select Receive.
- Run the “Send Files to TV” app on your phone and select Send. Choose the APK you downloaded.
- Select your TV to share a file with it.
- Once the transfer is complete, select the file on your TV and click Open.
- If you see a prompt about installing from unknown sources, enable the option for the Send Files to TV app from your Android TV settings.
- Click Install and wait until the installation of the VPN app is complete.
- Follow the preceding guide (setting up via app) above from step 4.
Set Up PrivateVPN on Android TV With L2TP
This method is an alternate way to install a VPN on your Android TV to unblock streaming services. Please note that you need a web browser installed on your Android TV to download files for this method to work.
Use the OpenVPN App
- Search for, download, and install the OpenVPN app on your Android TV from the Google Play Store.
- Open a browser on your TV and visit this link.
- From the list of servers, choose the one you want and download the configuration. Note that the server you choose also determines the kind of content you can unblock. I’ll recommend the US servers.
- Run the downloaded file to load the configuration into OpenVPN.
- Click the check mark on the popup. On the next screen, select the VPN profile.
- Tap OK on the Connection Request screen.
- On the next screen, type in your PrivateVPN username and password. Click OK.
- Wait for the connection to complete. The VPN service is now active.
Use the WireGuard App
- Open a browser window on your Android TV and go to your PrivateVPN account dashboard.
- Log in to your PrivateVPN account and navigate to the Control Panel.
- Scroll down to the Wireguard config section and click the “Select Server” dropdown.
- Select your preferred server location and click Generate Config.
- Click the download link to download the configuration file for the chosen server location.
- Search for, download, and install the WireGuard app from the Google Play Store.
- Open the app and tap the + button.
- Click Allow on the prompt and navigate to your downloaded file.
- Select the file and tap the Wireguard button.
- Tap OK on the Connection request popup.
- You are now connected.
Configure PrivateVPN on Your Router for Android TV
Instead of installing the VPN software on your Android TV, you can configure a PrivateVPN server on your compatible router to get network-wide coverage for all connected devices.
If you have a router with built-in VPN support, follow the router manual to set up a VPN. Otherwise, you may have to download VPN-compatible firmware for the router or try any other methods discussed here.
Here’s a detailed guide to setting up your router with a VPN.
Follow the router setup applicable to your hardware.
Why Is PrivateVPN Great for Android TV?
PrivateVPN has several features that make it a great fit for Android TVs.
Here are a few factors that can make it your VPN of choice for this use case:
- PrivateVPN delivers fast streaming speeds comparable to, or better than, many other VPNs. Thus, you can unblock the content you want and stream HD videos at high resolutions without buffering.
- While PrivateVPN’s 200+ servers might not seem large on the surface, they’re spread across 63 countries. This gives you a wide range of options to access Netflix libraries, unblock Hulu, get BBC iPlayer content, or unblock other popular streaming services.
- The PrivateVPN app is compatible with many devices and operating system options. This enables you to use the service natively on Android TV boxes and other Smart TVs that support VPN apps.
- Stay safe and maintain your privacy with PrivateVPN’s dynamic, dedicated IP for a new IP address every time you connect.
- You can connect up to 10 devices on a single PrivateVPN subscription. This gives you enough room to secure your phones and computers even after you have it set up on your Android TV.
What Are the Best PrivateVPN Alternatives for Android TV?
While PrivateVPN is a convenient solution to unblock and stream content on your Android TV, several other options can be considered if you’re looking for the best VPN for smart TV.
But these three are the best alternatives:
An excellent option for native Android TV, NordVPN operates a large server network and delivers fast speeds through its NordLynx protocol.
It also provides a comprehensive feature set for your Android TV, including:
- Smart DNS service
- 5300+ servers spread across 59 countries
- 2100+ US servers spread across 15 locations
You can grab a NordVPN discount now with an attractive deal and a solid 30-day money-back guarantee.
If you want to enjoy one of the world’s largest server networks to unblock content in about any country you want, try CyberGhost. With CyberGhost on your Android TV, you get:
- 9000+ servers spread across 91 countries
- 1300+ servers in the US
- Streaming-optimized servers
- Smart DNS support, if you ever need that for your Android TV
Get started with these CyberGhost deals to take advantage of a discounted price.
Fast, safe, secure, reliable, and reputable – ExpressVPN ticks all the right boxes.
Use ExpressVPN with your Android TV, and you get the following:
- Automatic and fast obfuscation to hide your VPN traffic from streaming platforms
- 3000+ servers across 94 countries
- 25+ US server locations
Get a special deal on your premium ExpressVPN subscription here.
Will PrivateVPN Slow Streaming on Android TV?
No, PrivateVPN won’t slow streaming speeds on your Android TV.
It provides great speed and bandwidth, allowing you to enjoy lag-free HD video streams. Choose a server that’s physically close to your target location for the best results and combine it with the IPSec/IKEv2 protocol.
PrivateVPN and Android TV - A Perfect Match
It’s a breeze to set up and use PrivateVPN on your Android TV, and the benefits speak for themselves.
Easily unblock Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and other streaming services using the simple PrivateVPN setup processes on Android TV discussed above.
You can also check out our detailed review of PrivateVPN and grab an attractive deal on your PrivateVPN subscription.