You can use Surfshark with DirecTV as the VPN works with all DirecTV-compatible devices, providing fast unblocking speeds and lag-free streaming.
Even more important, it seamlessly unblocks the streaming service to watch it anywhere, especially outside the USA.
Below, I’ll show you how to use Surfshark with DirecTV on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Apple TV, Roku, and smart TV.
Stream DirecTV With Surfshark in Minutes!
Here’s how to use Surfshark with DirecTV Stream:
- Sign up for Surfshark.
- Download and install the Surfshark app on your DirecTV STREAM device.
- Open the VPN app and log in.
- Connect to a Surfshark US server.
- Launch DirecTV and start streaming.
How to Watch DirecTV With Surfshark? (Step-By-Step Guide)
The are several ways to use Surfshark with DirecTV Stream (or AT&T TV Now, as it was formerly known). These are:
- Via the VPN app
- Via Surfshark’s Smart DNS
- Via router
- Via Windows mobile hotspot
Your choice mostly depends on your preferred streaming device since DirecTV works with a wide range of devices, some of which aren’t compatible with the native Surfshark app.
Here’s a quick look at the supported devices and the recommended setup method for each:
|DirecTV Now Device
|How to Unblock DirecTV?
|iOS – iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch
|Amazon Fire TV
|Samsung Smart TV
|Router, Windows Hotspot
|Router, Windows Hotspot
Stream DirecTV With the Surfshark App
Surfshark offers native apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire TV.
If you’re streaming on these devices, follow the steps below to unblock DirecTV:
- Sign up for Surfshark.
- Download and install the Surfshark VPN app on your DirecTV streaming device.
- Open the VPN app and sign in with your Surfshark account email and password.
- Select “Locations” and click on a United States server location. Wait for the VPN to connect.
- Open the DirecTV app or go to the web player on your browser.
- You can now watch your DirecTV from anywhere.
Unblock DirecTV via Surfshark SmartDNS
Surfshark offers a Smart DNS service to unblock DirecTV directly on Apple TV and Smart TVs that can’t download a VPN app.
But remember that Smart DNS doesn’t encrypt your connection, making it less secure than a VPN. But on the bright side, it’s faster and more suitable for streaming live HD TV channels.
Here’s how to watch DirecTV outside the US using Surfshark Smart DNS:
- Subscribe to Surfshark.
- Log into your account dashboard.
- With your VPN disconnected, Go to VPN > Smart DNS and click “Activate Smart DNS.”
- Once activated, you’ll be provided with the DNS addresses for your DirecTV streaming device. You’ll need these later.
- Navigate to the DNS settings window on your DirecTV streaming device. On Apple TV, open General > Network > WiFi and click “Configure DNS.”
- Enter your Surfshark Smart DNS addresses and click OK.
- Open the DirecTV app on your TV and start streaming!
Unblock DirecTV With Surfshark via Router
Some DirecTV devices, like Roku and Chromecast, support neither VPNs nor Smart DNS.
In such a case, you must set up Surfshark on a router to unblock DirecTV.
Here are the steps to follow:
1. Check if Your Router Is Compatible With Surfshark
Surfshark works with all routers that support OpenVPN and L2TP.
You can find out if your router is compatible by reading the user manual or looking for information online.
Alternatively, you can log into your router and look for the OpenVPN or L2TP client or try other methods recommended in the video below:
If your router is incompatible, you can install new firmware. I recommend the popular DD-WRT and Tomato firmware.
2. Configure Your Router With Surfshark
Once you have a compatible router, set up Surfshark depending on the router firmware.
Fortunately, Surfshark has detailed guides for all compatible models and firmware:
Remember to select a US server when configuring Surfshark on your router.
After that, connect your DirecTV streaming device to the router’s Wi-Fi network to unblock the streaming service.
Unblock DirecTV via PC Mobile Hotspot
If you don’t have access to a physical router or a compatible one, you can create a Surfshark VPN-enabled virtual router on your PC.
Here’s a quick walkthrough to share your Surfshark connection via Windows mobile hotspot:
- Open the Surfshark app and go to Settings > VPN Settings.
- Change the protocol to OpenVPN UDP.
- Connect to a US server location.
- Go to Settings > Network & Internet and select Mobile Hotspot on your PC.
- Toggle “Share my internet connection with other devices.”
- Click “Change adapter options” in the top right corner of the same window.
- Right-click “TAP-Surfshark Windows Adapter” and select Properties.
- Select the “Sharing” tab and check “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.”
- Click “Select a private network connection” and select your mobile hotspot connection from the drop-down menu.
- Click OK.
That’s it. Your Surfshark-enabled virtual router is now active. Connect your streaming device to the mobile hotspot and open DirecTV.
Why Is Surfshark Great for Streaming DirecTV?
So far, I’ve had an easy time using Surfshark with DirecTV. Some of the reasons why the VPN is a great choice for DirecTV include
- It unblocks DirecTV seamlessly. It offers 600+ servers in 25 US cities, ensuring you can always find a fast and reliable server for streaming DirecTV.
- Surfshark provides unlimited bandwidth, so you can stream in HD, live, and on-demand as long as you want.
- The VPN supports unlimited simultaneous connections. This is an added advantage if you have a large household or multiple AT&T TV Now devices.
- Surfshark works with all DirecTV Stream devices. It has apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV.
- The provider also offers a Smart DNS service to watch DirecTV on devices that don’t support VPNs. Plus, it works with routers, allowing you to unblock DirecTV on all Wi-Fi-compatible devices.
Here are some of the key pros and cons of using Surfshark with DirecTV:
Is Surfshark Fast Enough to Stream DirecTV?
Surfshark is fast enough to stream DirecTV from anywhere without lag and buffering.
When testing the VPN with the streaming service, I watched 1080p channels without issues.
Overall, the VPN impacted my connection speed by 9.8%, which is commendable.
I’ve shared the details of my speed tests below.
Without Surfshark VPN:
With Surfshark VPN:
I recommend connecting to server locations on the US East Coast for the best speeds when connecting from Europe.
Surfshark Not Working With DirecTV? Try These Fixes
If, for some reason, Surfshark isn’t working with DirecTV, try the solutions below:
- Switch to a different US VPN server: DirecTV blocks known VPN IPs to enforce its geographical content restrictions. Switching servers will enable you to obtain a new Surfshark IP address and bypass the VPN filter.
- Clear your cookies or try a different browser: You might have opened the DirecTV website while not connected to a VPN, and your browser stored your actual IP address in its cookies/cache. Thus, it might feed your real IP address to the DirecTV web player instead of the Surfshark IP. Clear your browser cache to rule this out.
- Use a US billing address: DirecTV also pulls location information from your billing address. This is the case with Amazon Fire TV and the DirecTV Stream box. Ensure your Amazon account has a US ZIP Code.
- Contact customer support. Contact customer support if you can’t stream DirecTV after trying the above troubleshooting tips. Surfshark has 24/7 customer support, available via live chat or email.
It’s legal to watch DirecTV with Surfshark in all countries.
DirecTV doesn’t ban users from using Surfshark to bypass its geo-restrictions.
DirecTV doesn’t block Surfshark servers.
However, if you can’t access the streaming service with your current Surfshark server, disconnect and reconnect to obtain a new IP. Alternatively, connect to a different US server location.
Surfshark is a great choice for DirecTV. It offers fast US VPN servers and reliable SmartDNS service for streaming devices that can’t download a VPN app.
It also offers GPS spoofing, making it easier to unblock DirecTV on Android devices.
And as you see in this guide, using the VPN with DirecTV is pretty straightforward.
So, what are you waiting for? Grab our exclusive Surfshark deal and unblock DirecTV in minutes!