You can set up ExpressVPN for your Samsung Smart TV through MediaStreamer, a virtual VPN router, a VPN-compatible physical router, or Fire TV Stick.
Samsung TVs run on an operating software called Tizen that’s incompatible with VPN apps. So, accessing geo-restricted content directly on your Samsung TV with a VPN requires some outside creativity.
In this article, we’ll look at the four methods with detailed step-by-step guides.
I’ll also give you speed-boosting tips if you struggle with buffering when using ExpressVPN on your Samsung TV.
How to Set Up ExpressVPN on Your Samsung TV?
Before going into the guides, here’s a table showing the difficulty levels of each method.
|MediaStreamer||VPN Router||Virtual Router||Fire Stick|
|Hides Your IP?||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Method #1: Using MediaStreamer
MediaStreamer is ExpressVPN’s SmartDNS feature, and it’s the fastest because it doesn’t encrypt your traffic. However, you can only unblock US and UK content via this method.
Here’s how to set it up on your Samsung TV:
- Follow the video guide below to set up ExpressVPN MediaStreamer on your Samsung smart TV.
- Restart your Samsung smart TV and start streaming US/UK-only content from anywhere.
Method #2: Using a Physical VPN Router
Using a physical router compatible with ExpressVPN is the most secure and reliable method to get it working with your Samsung smart TV.
Some supported ExpressVPN routers include the following:
- ExpressVPN Aircove
- Netgear R6700
- Asus RT-AC56(U/R/S)
- Linksys EA6200
Once ready, grab an ExpressVPN subscription (discounts here) and follow the video guide below to set up the VPN on your router:
Afterward, connect your Samsung smart TV to the router to enjoy ExpressVPN’s encryption and unblocking on your preferred server.
Method #3: Using a Virtual Router
You can also create a virtual router using your Windows PC to share ExpressVPN to your Samsung smart TV. This is slower than the first two methods, but it’s the best for seamlessly changing virtual locations.
Here are the detailed steps to get it working:
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN on your Windows PC.
- Launch ExpressVPN and log in using your details.
- Launch the VPN and ensure you’re running on Lightway UDP protocol, which offers the fastest speeds possible.
- Connect to a server that helps you unblock the content you want. In my case, I chose a Japan server because I wanted to watch Gintama, which is available on Netflix Japan.
- Set up VPN sharing on your Windows PC. The video guide below will help you.
- Connect your Samsung Smart TV to the PC’s VPN-enabled hotspot to access geo-restricted content.
Method #4: Using Fire TV Stick
ExpressVPN is compatible with second-generation Amazon Fire TV stick and above.
The VPN even topped our list of the best VPNs for Amazon Fire Stick, so you’re assured it will work.
By plugging Fire Stick into your Samsung smart TV, you can access all the Samsung smart TV services and more, including live sports channels like NFL, MLB, and NHL.
Here’s how you can set it up:
- Sign up for ExpressVPN.
- Setup your Amazon Fire TV stick on the Samsung smart TV.
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app on your Fire TV device. The video guide below shows you how.
- Connect to an appropriate ExpressVPN server and stream all restricted content from anywhere over your Samsung TV.
How to Improve ExpressVPN Streaming Speeds on Samsung TV?
The speeds you get when using ExpressVPN on your Samsung smart TV vary depending on your chosen method. But there are some tweaks you can do to increase streaming speed and quality.
- Switch to Lightway UDP protocol: The Lightway UDP protocol is faster and offers more stable speeds. You can use this protocol on all setup methods except MediaStreamer.
- Use the closest servers: If your setup method allows you to change servers, switch to the nearest server for faster performance. Your traffic covers less distance when you use servers closer to your physical location, giving you faster speeds.
- Use an ethernet cable Instead of wireless connections: Wi-Fi uses radio waves, which can be affected by obstacles between the router and your device. On the other hand, Ethernet cables connect to your Samsung smart TV directly, so you experience the full speeds with minimal drops.
Ready to Stream on the Big Screen?
Not being able to install ExpressVPN directly on your Samsung smart TV doesn’t mean you can’t use the VPN on it. An ExpressVPN-compatible router is the most reliable method as it offers fast speeds and traffic encryption, and you can change the server easily.
Mediastreamer offers the best speeds but no encryption.
A virtual router gives you more control and a wider server selection, and if you’ve got a Fire TV Stick, all the better!
Once you decide the method to go with, grab your ExpressVPN subscription with these exclusive deals and enjoy streaming.