Thanks to its massive server network and blazing fast speeds, you don’t need to worry about lag.
And if online privacy is important to you, you can use Surfshark to hide your IP address while using Discord and other gaming chat platforms.
Even better, you can use Surfshark to switch time zones and get early access to new games!
There are many reasons to enjoy gaming with a good VPN – and many reasons why Surfshark is one of the best in my experience.
Join me below for all the details!
Why Should I Use Surfshark for Gaming?
To properly answer why you should use Surfshark for gaming, I need to elaborate on why you need a VPN in the first place.
I already mentioned some of the reasons, such as:
- Hiding your IP address while using public chat forums to protect your privacy
- Reducing lag caused by your ISP (Internet Service Provider) throttling your connection
- Connecting to a VPN server in a country where the new game you’re looking forward to is releasing before it reaches your region
These are already great reasons to use Surfshark for gaming – but there’s more!
You can also:
- Access games that aren’t available in your country
- Get around unfair IP bans preventing you from logging in to your favorite game
- Join your international friends in a multiplayer game where the server lobbies are split by region
- Save money by bypassing price discrimination tactics (where a game is cheaper in some regions than others)
- Access the Steam marketplace (and others) while traveling abroad – they often block payments if your IP address doesn’t match the country listed on your profile
- Protect yourself from DDoS (Dedicated Denial of Service) attacks by other players who are salty because you’re beating them fairly
- Protect your personal information, including payment details, from hackers
Surfshark offers all of these benefits for gamers, in part because they have more than 3,200 servers worldwide.
Connect to a server that meets your needs – whether that’s speed or location!
Speaking of speed, take a look at this table to see how Surfshark’s server speeds influence different games:
Ping (Without a VPN)
Ping (Using Surfshark)
How to Set Up Surfshark for Gaming
Setting up Surfshark for gaming is easy!
Don’t believe me? Check it out!
- Choose a Surfshark plan that fits your needs and budget.
- Download and install the dedicated app for your device.
- Log in and connect to a Surfshark server!
The best part is, you can install Surfshark on all of your devices – gaming and otherwise. You can even connect all of them at the same time!
This is because Surfshark offers unlimited simultaneous connections.
Does Surfshark Support Gaming Devices, Including Consoles?
Yes, Surfshark supports gaming devices, including consoles! Whether you game on your PC or a console, Surfshark has a setup for you.
Their dedicated apps include setups for:
And if you’re using a console, you can activate Surfshark Smart DNS for the same gaming benefits!
What Does Surfshark Cost?
Surfshark offers three VPN plans:
- 1 Month – $12.95
- 6 Months – $38.94 (Save 50%)
- 12 Months – $59.76
Is it legal to use a VPN for gaming?
Yes, it is legal to use a VPN for gaming. However, using a VPN to dodge price discrimination can get you in trouble with the developers or distributors – but only if they catch you. With Surfshark, they’ll have a hard time proving you used a VPN at all.
Does Surfshark affect gaming negatively?
No, Surfshark does not affect gaming negatively. For the most part, the VPN will stabilize your connection and give you a consistent ping rate. However, if you’re playing through a VPN server far away from your location, it might cause lag.
What should my Surfshark VPN settings be for gaming?
Surfshark’s default settings will almost always be good enough. However, I do recommend enabling the kill switch.
Can I use Surfshark to game at school or work?
You can use Surfshark to game at school or work if the administrators blocked online gaming sites and portals like Steam.
Can’t I just use a free VPN for gaming?
No, you should not use a free VPN for gaming – unless you want to get “rekt.” Free VPNs limit you a lot, from restricting the number of available servers to limiting how much bandwidth you can use in a month.
If you’re not already using a VPN while gaming, then you’re missing out.
Surfshark will open a new world for you, not least by getting you past network and geolocation restrictions hampering your gaming experience.
And of course, if you’ve ever wanted to smash your keyboard (or console) because your ping rate suddenly sky-rocketed and cost you a match… Surfshark will give you a stable connection you can rely on.
Try Surfshark risk-free today by clicking here!