Setting up Surfshark on your Samsung Smart TV is straightforward, even if you’re not tech-savvy. You can do so via a virtual router, a VPN, or Smart DNS.
Keep reading for a more in-depth setup guide.
Set Up Surfshark on a Samsung Smart TV via SmartDNS
Setting up Surfshark via SmartDNS is the easiest and fastest method for using the VPN on your Samsung TV. So, if you’re rushing to watch Hulu on your Samsung Smart TV in Europe, I’ll show you how to set it up below.
- Subscribe to Surfshark and sign in.
- On the left, navigate to the “Smart DNS” area.
- The DNS Server IP addresses should now be visible. However, if you’ve never used Smart DNS, select “Get Started” and enable it.
- Note the DNS Server IP Addresses. We’ll need them later.
- Turn on your Samsung Smart TV and Press “Menu.”
- To get to the Smart DNS section, navigate to “Settings” and choose ”Network.”
- Select ”Network Status.”
- A Network Status window on your Samsung Smart TV will pop up. Choose “IP Settings.”
- Select SmartDNS Settings and then “Enter Manually.”
- Enter the DNS Server IP Address from Step 4 above and press ”OK.”
You successfully installed Surfshark Smart DNS on your Samsung Smart TV.
Restart your Samsung Smart TV and enjoy unrestricted viewing of your favorite shows.
Set Up Surfshark VPN for Your Samsung Smart TV via Virtual Router
In this method, you must create a virtual router through your Windows Computer.
You’ll need a VPN subscription plan from Surfshark, and then download and install Surfshark on your computer.
Here’s the setup process:
- Open “Network & Internet” on your PC and select “Mobile hotspot.”
- Turn on “Share my Internet connection with other devices.”
- Click “Edit” to change the network name and password.
- Navigate to the “Change adapter options” section.
- Note the new “Local Area Connection” that shows the green connected bar. In this case, it’s “Local Area Connection 11.”
- Right-click “Surfshark VPN TAP Adapter” and select “Properties.”
- Checkmark the box next to “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection” in the “Sharing” tab.
- Under “Home networking connection:” select “Local Area Connection 11” from step 5.
- Click “OK.”
- Launch the Surfshark VPN and connect it to the server that you prefer.
- Connect your Samsung Smart TV to the connection you just created.
Your Smart TV is now protected with Surfshark VPN.
Set Up Surfshark VPN for Samsung Smart TV via a Router
Surfshark VPN is compatible with many routers, including Asus and GL.iNet.
However, not all routers support the VPN. Make sure you confirm if your router is compatible. You can still flash firmware on your incompatible router to make it compatible if it isn’t. Just be careful, as the process can damage your router.
Below, I will show you how to configure Surfshark VPN on an AsusWRT router.
- Find Your Login Details. I accessed my Surfshark service credentials by heading to this page.
- Click on the ”Credentials” tab on top. All the Surfshark service credentials are available there.
Keep the page open or save the credentials. You’ll need them later.
- Head to this page again. But this time, select the Locations tab. All the Surfshark servers will show up.
- Get the OpenVPN configuration file for your preferred location.
- Configure the OpenVPN client. Start by accessing the Control panel of the router. You can type your Default Gateway address into your browser’s URL address bar. It’s usually 192.168.1.1.
- A login prompt will pop up. The login details should be “admin/admin” or “admin” without a password if you’ve never changed them. If that doesn’t work, check the router for details.
- After logging in, click on the ”VPN tab” in the left sidebar.
- Then Select “VPN Client.”
- Click on the “Add profile” button at the bottom.
- Click on “OpenVPN” and type the following:
- Description: Choose any name you prefer.
- Username: Enter the Surfshark username service credentials you saved in Step 1 above.
- Password: Enter the Surfshark account service password you saved in Step 1 above.
- Click “Choose File.” A prompt will appear asking you to choose the configuration file you want to use.
- Navigate to where you saved the downloaded configuration files and click “Open.” (If there is a .ovpn file, choose that.)
- Upload it. A complete message will pop up if the process is successful.
- Leave the “Import the CA file or edit the .ovpn file manually” option unchecked and click “OK.”
A new connection setup should be visible. Click Activate to connect your router to the Surfshark server. You can add another VPN profile if you want to add another connection configuration.
After a successful connection, a blue checkmark should appear in the Connection Status column.
- Finally, confirm if your connection is working. I did this by doing an IP leak test and a DNS leak test.
Why Should You Use Surfshark on Your Samsung Smart TV?
Using Surfshark on your Samsung Smart TV is a great way to circumvent geo-blocks and reclaim your online privacy. Here are more reasons why you should use Surfshark on your Samsung Smart TV:
- Features 3200+ servers in different locations, so you can quickly establish a VPN connection in whichever country you prefer and unblock your favorite streaming platforms on your Samsung Smart TV.
- Surfshark’s Smart DNS. By manually altering the DNS settings in the menu of my Samsung TV to use Surfshark’s Smart DNS address, I could stream platforms that are usually blocked.
- Its WireGuard protocol is very fast. You can watch your TV apps with hardly any buffering.
Surfshark Alternatives for Samsung Smart TV
I had fun using Surfshark with my Samsung TV. It unblocked all streaming services, including Hulu and Netflix. On top of that, the streaming experience was incredible.
But sometimes you might hit a snag when using Surfshark on your Samsung Smart TV for various reasons like router incompatibility.
If Surfshark doesn’t work for you, try these alternatives:
- NordVPN: The VPN’s 5000+ high-speed servers in over 59 countries give you buffer-free streaming on any streaming apps you choose. NordVPN is also quicker than Surfshark due to its superior NordLynx protocol. However, both services performed comparably with IKEv2 and OpenVPN (UDP/TCP) protocols.
- ExpressVPN: If you don’t mind spending a little extra to get a full-scale premium VPN, ExpressVPN is your best bet. It connects you to over 160 locations worldwide, enabling you to access geo-restricted content. The provider also offers a SmartDNS service, MediaStreamer, that works smoothly with Samsung TV, making it one of the best VPN services for streaming on smart TVs.
- IPVanish: Unlike Surfshark, IPvanish has a detailed interface. IPVanish’s multiplatform flexibility and 40,000+ IP addresses are also ideal for people focused on finding a Netflix-friendly VPN.
Can I Use Surfshark on Samsung TV Without Configuring My Router?
Yes, you can get VPN protection for your Smart TV through connection-sharing with your Windows PC. You can turn your PC into a virtual router and connect your Smart TV to the WiFi hotspot from your computer — the setup is simple and only takes a couple of minutes.
With a Surfshark VPN, you can ensure that everything you do or stream online on your Samsung TV is secure and accessible. Bypass local firewalls and unblock streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more.
Try Surfshark now and have peace of mind knowing your connection is secured.