You shouldn’t install NordVPN on an AT&T router straight away as you could with a third-party router. However, you can use an external third-party router that supports VPN installation, install NordVPN, and reroute the traffic from that router to your AT&T router.
Alternatively, you can flash your AT&T router with open-source firmware and then install NordVPN on your router.
How to Install NordVPN on an AT&T Router?
You can install NordVPN on an AT&T router by flashing it or rerouting the traffic using an external, third-party VPN-supported router.
However, if you decide to flash your AT&T router, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- You’ll void its warranty.
- It could become unstable and struggle to provide fast speeds.
- You could also lose access to features like AT&T’s Dynamic DNS and AT&T usage data.
This is why rerouting the traffic using an external, third-party VPN-supported router becomes the wisest option.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to installing NordVPN on an AT&T router using an external router:
- Subscribe to NordVPN.
- Check the router’s subnet/gateway addresses by entering “ipconfig” command in the command prompt. Ensure the router’s subnet/gateway for both routers is different and isn’t the same, and write down the address on a notepad, as we will need it in a few seconds.
- Open the AT&T router’s control panel menu by entering the IP address (e.g., 192.168.1.2) and open the Firewall/NAT settings menu.
- Enable “VPN-passthrough” by enabling PPTP, L2TP, and IPSec Passthrough.
- Connect your VPN-compatible router to your PC and change the subnet/gateway address in the router’s control panel if it is the same as the AT&T router.
- Enable DHCP by selecting Advanced Settings > LAN. You should find a toggle to enable DHCP.
- Connect an Ethernet cable to your external router’s LAN port, and then connect the other end to your AT&T router’s WAN port.
- Go to the NordVPN server download page to download a server.
- Find a preferred server location under “Select country.”
- Click “Show available protocols” in the left-hand window, then choose “Download config” under the “OpenVPN UDP” section.
- Configure your external router to use the selected server. Check out this guide for instructions on setting up NordVPN on a router.
- That’s it! Your AT&T router is now protected with NordVPN’s top-notch network encryption, and you can bypass streaming services easily on all devices.
What Makes NordVPN Ideal for AT&T Routers?
NordVPN is an ideal choice for AT&T routers for several reasons.
Here are a few:
- NordVPN bypasses AT&T’s speed throttling, stabilizes ping, and provides a fast and stable connection.
- NordVPN unblocks several streaming services, including Netflix (US, UK, Australia, etc.), CNN Go, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and other well-known streaming platforms.
- NordVPN encrypts all connections with military-grade AES-256-bit encryption, keeping you safe when surfing online and protecting your anonymity.
- NordVPN also offers torrenting capabilities; you can download non-copyrighted torrent files on your desktop or smartphone.
Lastly, by rerouting traffic through a NordVPN-installed router to an AT&T router, all devices connected to your AT&T router will benefit from these features and protection.
Wrapping It Up!
NordVPN offers 5,600+ servers in 60 countries with many security features.
It’s also installable on most third-party VPN-supported routers, but most AT&T routers do not support VPN installation.
However, you can download and set up NordVPN on an additional router to reroute traffic to the AT&T router. This workaround lets you use NordVPN’s top-notch security to safeguard unlimited simultaneous connections linked to your AT&T router.
Grab these NordVPN discounts if you don’t already have a subscription to the service to save even more.