NordVPN is a suitable VPN to unblock CBC, thanks to its Canadian servers, reliable encryption, fast content streaming speeds, dependable unblocking ability, and bundled SmartPlay feature.
The VPN service provider is also compatible with mobile devices, PCs, smart TVs, and streaming services over which you can enjoy CBC TV.
Still, NordVPN sometimes doesn’t work for CBC if you don’t set it up properly.
So, continue reading to learn how to use NordVPN to watch CBC from the US or outside Canada.
How to Unblock CBC With NordVPN?
Setting up NordVPN to unblock CBC involves enabling the internet kill switch, choosing the correct streaming protocol, and connecting to suitable servers.
I detailed how to get each step done in the following headings.
Enable the Kill Switch
An enabled kill switch prevents IP and DNS leaks to Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC)’s servers if the VPN connection randomly drops.
Thus, the platform doesn’t see you’re streaming from outside Canada and boots you off its platform.
Here’s how to enable the kill switch on NordVPN.
- Launch the NordVPN app.
- Access “Settings.”
- Click “Kill Switch.”
- Toggle “Internet Kill Switch”
- Optional: Configure “App Kill Switch” to protect the browser you’re watching CBC on.
NordVPN doesn’t have a kill switch setting in the iOS app. However, it’s built into the iOS app system.
So, the iOS kill switch is automatically enabled whenever you connect to any server.
Choose the Right Protocol
The best protocol to watch CBC over NordVPN is NordLynx for its security and speed, unblocking CBC in HD quality. Luckily, this protocol is available on all servers.
Thus, it works with all the Canadian server locations for streaming CBC.
Follow the steps below to choose a protocol:
- Launch the NordVPN app.
- Go to “Settings.”
- Click “Auto-Connect.”
- Optional: Toggle “Choose a VPN protocol and server automatically” off if already on.
- Choose “NordLynx” from the VPN Protocol section.
Connect to the Right Server
Your VPN server location matters greatly, especially when unblocking region-specific content like CBC.
The best server location for unblocking CBC access is Canada.
Fortunately, NordVPN provides multiple Canadian server locations with multiple IP addresses.
Here’s how to connect to the proper Canadian server on NordVPN.
- Return to the app home screen.
- Search for “Canada.”
- Click the main country (marked red) to get the fastest Canadian server.
- OR click any available cities (in green) to get a server there instead.
- Wait for the connection confirmation.
Stream CBC With NordVPN
Once you follow the steps above, you can start watching CBC online with NordVPN. Here’s how to do that on mobile and PC.
- Launch Incognito/Private browsing mode.
- Choose your preferred Canadian channels.
- Watch all the content you want live.
What Makes NordVPN Compatible for CBC?
NordVPN’s compatibility with CBC is due to its selection of Canadian servers, reliable encryption technology, unblocking ability, and other relevant features.
Here’s a quick overview of what makes NordVPN an excellent choice to watch CBC online outside Canada:
- Multiple Canada servers. NordVPN maintains 480+ servers in Canada, preventing server overcrowding and ensuring you can always connect to a non-blacklisted server.
- Multiple Canada locations. The VPN service provider also offers servers in Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver. So, Canadian residents and non-residents can choose a closer region for less ping.
- Great streaming speeds. NordVPN is optimized for speed, especially over its exclusive NordLynx protocol, allowing you to unblock CBC in HD quality.
- Streaming platform support. You can set up NordVPN on Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TVs, and other devices to watch
- Multi-platform support. Besides the streaming platform support, NordVPN also provides native PC, mobile, router, and smart TV (select) apps to watch CBC directly on those devices.
- SmartDNS. For devices that can’t download a native VPN to watch CBC from abroad, you get NordVPN’s Smart DNS to the rescue.
- SmartPlay support. NordVPN shows dedication to streaming with a SmartPlay system automatically enabled when streaming content on its servers.
Can CBC Block NordVPN Access?
CBC can block NordVPN traffic if too many users access the platform over the same VPN-assigned IP address. However, this usually blocks access via that IP address.
You can disconnect and reconnect to another server to regain access to CBC over NordVPN.
Unfortunately, NordVPN doesn’t offer dedicated IP addresses in Canada, which would ensure you don’t share the same IP with others. Still, the VPN provider offers 480+ Canadian servers in 3 cities. So, CBC can’t catch up to all the IPs to keep you off the platform.
What Devices Can I Stream CBC On?
You can watch CBC on mobile devices, specific PC platforms, and some Android TV sets optimized for streaming. However, you may experience issues streaming CBC or CBC Gem on Linux, some Android TV models, and Chrome OS devices.
CBC also offers different media for streaming on the supported devices.
The table below details what devices can stream CBC across multiple platforms and what media is supported for streaming on these devices.
|Platform||Supported Devices||Requirements||Streaming Media||Best NordVPN Application?|
|Mobile||Android, iPhone, iPad||Android 5.0+/iOS 12.3+||App, website||VPN app|
|PC||Windows, Mac||None||Website (Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox & Safari)||VPN app|
|Smart TV||Android TV||Android TV OS 6.0+||App||Router VPN, VPN app|
You can still stream CBC on Chromebooks and Linux through the web browsers, but you may experience issues.
How to Download CBC Mobile App Outside Canada?
Mobile users can download the CBC app for a seamless streaming experience over browsers.
However, not all Google Play Store and iOS App Store regions outside Canada have the CBC News app. Furthermore, the CBC Gem app is even more restricted.
So, search your respective app stores for the app and check if it’s there.
Otherwise, change your app store region to Canada to access this app and other Canadian app store content.
Here are videos to help you change your region.
Before changing your app store region, ensure you know the risks.
For example, you may lose all downloads associated with your other region account or be unable to switch back to your main region in the next 365 days.
Alternatively, Android users can request the raw CBC/CBC Gem apk file from a trusted friend and install it on their devices. However, NEVER download and install the app from third-party sources, as this could ship malware onto your device and steal sensitive information.
What Streaming Platforms Have CBC?
How to Watch CBC on Apple TV With NordVPN?
You can’t download a native VPN application on your Apple TV, but you can still pair it with NordVPN to watch CBC content live on a bigger screen.
The best way to unblock and watch CBC on Apple TV with NordVPN is by connecting the Apple TV dongle to a router with NordVPN software.
You can also set up SmartDNS on your Apple TV unit, but that usually only unblocks content available in the US, which CBC isn’t.
Here’s how to set up NordVPN with your Apple TV.
- Install NordVPN on your router. I’ve included a helpful video below.
- Connect to a Canadian server location via the router.
- Reboot the Apple TV unit.
- Connect the Apple TV dongle to your TV set.
- Search for CBC in the Apple TV store and download it.
- Stream CBC content.
How to Watch CBC on Roku With NordVPN?
You can stream Roku content over NordVPN, including CBC channels on Roku.
Here’s a quick guide:
- Follow steps 1-2 above.
- Reboot your Roku device.
- Reconnect Roku to the TV set if not already connected.
- Search for the CBC channel on Roku. Add it.
- Watch CBC online via Roku.
How to Watch CBC on Firestick With NordVPN?
NordVPN pairs well with Amazon Firestick and is one of the platforms explicitly supported by CBC.
Here’s how to set up NordVPN to watch CBC on your Amazon Firestick:
- Buy a NordVPN account.
- Install NordVPN on your Amazon Fire TV. I’ve included a short video below.
- Search for a Canadian server. Connect to it.
- Download CBC Gem from the Amazon App Store.
- Enjoy all the CBC content you can manage.
What Shows & Channels Can I Watch on CBC and CBC Gem?
CBC and CBC Gem feature channel categories spanning:
- Live Sports
While CBC Gem is best suited to movies, you’ll get more of the live news and updates on the main CBC app.
Some of the content you can stream for free on CBC and CBC Gem right now include:
|Content Type||Featured Titles|
|Shows||Sky Med, Race Against the Tide, Sorry for Your Loss, Stath Lets Flats, The National, Bump, Crime, etc.|
|Movies||12 Pups of Christmas, 2040, A Brother’s Love, A Cape Cod Christmas, etc.|
|News||Channel 4, Channel 5, Channel 6, etc.|
|Kids||Dino Ranch, Teepee Time, The Adventures of Paddington, Learning about Anti-Racism, etc.|
|Sports||Hockey, Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, etc.|
Fortunately, a single NordVPN subscription allows six simultaneous logins.
So, everyone can enjoy different CBC and CBC Gem channels on their devices.
What to Do if NordVPN Isn't Unblocking CBC Access?
NordVPN may sometimes not unblock CBC access properly.
Don’t panic when this happens.
Simply apply pointers from the troubleshooting guide below to fix the issue.
- Update the VPN. Check for a NordVPN app update and install it. This is another reason to never download cracked NordVPN software since it can’t be updated.
- Change servers. CBC may catch on to a NordVPN IP address and block access. Fortunately, NordVPN has hundreds to thousands of other Canadian IP addresses to connect to.
- Test for leaks. Go to ipleak.net after connecting to a NordVPN server. Disconnect and reconnect to the server if you don’t get a Canadian IP address.
- Clear cache and cookies. Browser cache and cookies may interfere with NordVPN’s unblocking ability. Ensure to clear them before streaming CBC.
- Use incognito mode. This solves the cache and cookies problem, especially if you don’t want to clear them.
- Disable AdBlock. CBC supports itself with ads served to free content viewers. So, disable the NordVPN ad blocker to get access to CBC’s platform.
- Enable the kill switch. Otherwise, a random NordVPN disconnection from the Canadian server could leak your actual IP address to CBC.
- Switch VPN protocol. Always choose NordLynx to unblock and watch CBC faster. If NordVPN is set to automatic protocol selection, disable that and choose NordLynx.
- Speak with customer support. NordVPN’s customer support agents are available 24/7 via live chat.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can watch CBC outside Canada over Canadian servers from a reputable VPN like NordVPN. NordVPN gives you access to 480+ Canadian servers, which grant you a Canadian IP address to access CBC content. Also, you can unblock other Canada-exclusive platforms like Crave TV and DAZN Canada with NordVPN.
NordVPN offers an ultra-fast NordLynx protocol, combined with its Smart Play streaming support, to easily unblock CBC on its Canadian servers.
Thanks to a reliable AES 256-bit encryption on all protocols and servers, CBC never finds your actual IP address to geo-restrict you from its content.
Finally, NordVPN allows six simultaneous connections, ensuring an entire family/group can stream different CBC content on other devices at the same time.
The best way to watch CBC in the US is by connecting to Canadian server locations over a premium VPN like NordVPN. The reliable VPN offers robust encryption, fast streaming speeds, and an impressive unblocking ability to watch Canadian TV content over CBC channels without dropping streaming quality.
Using a VPN to watch CBC Gem outside Canada is the best way to access shows, documentaries, news, and other content on the platform from outside the main country.
You’ll need a trustworthy VPN like NordVPN that provides multiple Canadian servers, fast speeds to access CBC in HD, and reliable encryption to prevent detection on the CBC website.
Time to Catch Up on CBC
Never miss CBC sports updates, news, documentaries, new episodes of your favorite series, or any other content you like to stream on CBC.
With NordVPN’s reliable encryption over ultra-fast Canadian servers, you can stream CBC in HD from the USA or elsewhere outside Canada.
Don’t forget to sweeten the deal and get a 30-day money-back guarantee with these NordVPN discounts!