Surfshark works with YouTube TV to unblock original programming and region-blocked content outside the USA.
You can also bypass MLB game blackouts on YouTube TV with Surfshark if you’re someplace where a game isn’t currently showing.
The best part is that this YouTube TV VPN works with all devices supported by YouTube TV.
I’ll show you everything you need to know in the rest of this guide.
How to Unblock and Watch YouTube TV With Surfshark?
Surfshark provides native apps, router support, and a smart DNS tool to unblock and watch YouTube TV on any device. While you can use these methods on any of your PCs, mobile, or streaming units, some are best suited to specific devices.
I’ll share a sneak peek in the table below as we move into the stepwise guides to set up each device type.
|iOS and Android
|Windows, Linux, Mac, and Chromebook
|Smart DNS; Router
|Non-Android e.g., Samsung, LG, etc.
|Smart DNS; Router
|Apple TV, Amazon Firestick, Roku
How to Unblock and Watch YouTube TV on Mobile?
It’s best to pair the Surfshark mobile app with your YouTube TV mobile app to get the best experience. Here’s how:
- Get a Surfshark subscription. Save more with these discount offers.
- Download the Surfshark app for your mobile device. I’ll use an iOS device for this example.
- Launch the app and log in with your Surfshark credentials.
- Choose a preferred streaming protocol. Go through Settings > VPN Settings > Protocol. I recommend WireGuard or IKEv2 for fast streaming and security.
- Go to the Surfshark “Locations” tab and search for the United States. I recommend the Los Angeles, New York, or Las Vegas servers for the best streaming experience.
- Optional: Download the YouTube TV app if you don’t have it already.
- Launch the app and sign up or log in with your account credentials.
- Start streaming content like you’re in the USA.
How to Unblock and Stream YouTube TV on PC?
Surfshark has a PC app for standard PC platforms, and it’s your best bet for unblocking YouTube TV. Here’s how to set it up:
- Get a Surfshark subscription.
- Download and install the Surfshark app for your PC. I recommend getting it through the official Surfshark download page.
- Launch the app and log in with your account credentials (from step #1).
- Choose a preferred protocol. Go to Settings > VPN Settings > Protocol. I recommend WireGuard.
- Go to the Surfshark “VPN” tab to return to the homepage and search for the United States. I recommend the New York server.
How to Unblock and Stream YouTube TV on Smart TVs?
Android smart TV users can follow the mobile guide since they simply have to install the Surfshark Android app and connect to a US server. But if you have a non-Android smart TV, consider Smart DNS.
Here’s how to set it up:
- On the right-hand menu, click “VPN” then “Smart DNS.”
- Click “Activate” if your Smart DNS hasn’t been activated already. Otherwise, click “Change IP” to configure the Smart DNS to your current IP address.
- Surfshark should generate four DNS addresses for you. Note these.
- Open your smart TV and go to its network settings. The steps will differ based on your device’s manufacturer and model. I recommend checking the TV manual or searching online.
- Look for the DNS settings.
- Enter the smart DNS details you get from Surfshark.
- Restart your smart TV.
- Launch your YouTube TV app and start streaming content.
How to Unblock and Stream YouTube TV on Gaming Consoles?
YouTube TV is present on Xbox and PlayStation gaming consoles, but these devices can’t download a native Virtual Private Network (VPN) app either.
While you can also set up Smart DNS for gaming consoles (apply the instructions above), another alternative is to go via the router setup.
- Confirm that your router supports VPNs. Here’s a short (2-minute) video to help you.
- Still need a Surfshark plan? Get extra savings here.
- Install Surfshark on your router. I’ve included video guides for setting up different kinds of compatible routers.
- Choose the US configuration files when setting up your router.
- Connect your gaming console to the resulting router network. It’ll also share the VPN server location your router broadcasts.
- Fire up your YouTube TV app. Stream YouTube originals, sports, news, and other content from anywhere.
How to Unblock and Stream YouTube TV on Streaming Devices?
You can watch YouTube TV abroad on streaming devices and boxes like Roku, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire TV. While there’s now a Surfshark app for the newer generation Amazon Fire TV units, the others lack an app.
Fortunately, you can set up Surfshark on them via the Smart DNS method or connect them to a Surfshark-enabled router.
Why Is YouTube TV Blocking My Surfshark VPN?
Your Surfshark-YouTube TV connection may not work even after you’ve set it up correctly. I’ve discussed possible issues and what to do about them.
Google Play Region Issues
This rarely happens, but Google (which owns YouTube) may pull your location information from your Play Store region to keep you from streaming YouTube TV outside the US.
This will likely affect users who stream on Android smartphones or Android-based smart TVs. In that case, you should create another profile for the US since that’s the only region where YouTube TV is supported.
I’ve found a helpful video to change your region below:
Regional Blackout Issues
You can’t beat regional blackouts (such as on MLB games) if you choose a server located in a blackout region.
For example, you won’t get a Miami Marlins game over Surfshark’s Miami server if the game is blacked out in that region. YouTube will assume you’re also in that market and keep the content from you.
Instead, connect to any of its other 600+ US servers across 20+ cities to gain access.
Read More: Top VPNs Reviewed for Youtube
Smart DNS Details Not Working
Smart DNS won’t work for your smart TV or gaming console if your IP address has changed. Thus, it’s best to return to the Surfshark online dashboard to reset your IP address. That gets you new Smart DNS addresses for your new IP address.
You’ll also observe that Surfshark provides four DNS addresses, even though you mostly need two (Primary and Secondary DNS) on some TVs and gaming consoles.
That’s to help you play around with the options to find the ones that work.
Here’s what I recommend until you find what works:
- Fill only the Primary DNS field and leave the other set to zero (0) values.
- Enter the same DNS addresses in the Primary and Secondary DNS fields.
- Vary the entries in both fields with the DNS addresses you get from Surfshark.
Remember to restart your smart TV/test your gaming console’s internet connection after making these changes.
Wrong Server Selection
YouTube is available in almost all countries, but you can only get YouTube TV in the USA. Thus, only connect to US servers to unblock the streaming service.
That said, some US servers are better optimized for streaming than others.
I rarely have luck with the Latham, Salt Lake City, and Houston servers, but the New York and Las Vegas servers are the most reliable.
I recommend testing different servers to see which works best for you.
It isn’t illegal to unblock and watch YouTube TV with Surfshark. However, YouTube TV sometimes blocks VPNs to enable it to stay in line with regional licensing and content distribution laws.
Even so, YouTube won’t come after you or block your account for using a VPN, and Surfshark’s servers are well-engineered to bypass restrictions anyway.
Get Your Fill of Sports, News, and Other YouTube Content
YouTube TV is home to rich sports, news, movies, documentaries, and other exciting channels you want to take advantage of. So, not being in the USA shouldn’t keep you from this content library, thanks to Surfshark.
Fortunately, Surfshark has a solution for different YouTube TV streaming devices.
So, grab these Surfshark discounts today and start accessing YouTube TV on your preferred device.