You can set up and use ProtonVPN in Canada on your device (mobile or PC) by downloading the VPN app and connecting to a preferred server.
Also, you can install ProtonVPN on your router to access geo-restricted content and protect your internet connection on non-VPN-compatible devices like smart TVs and gaming consoles.
Finally, ProtonVPN offers Chrome and Firefox extensions to secure your specific web traffic in Canada.
Read this guide for stepwise procedures to set up ProtonVPN in Canada!
How to Set Up ProtonVPN in Canada?
ProtonVPN can be used on multiple devices and platforms, including Windows, iOS, Linux, Mac, Android, Chromebook, FireTV, and Android TV.
You don’t need an extra subscription plan to use the VPN on these devices simultaneously, considering it can be used on 10 concurrently.
Here’s a general setup procedure for ProtonVPN in Canada:
- Sign up for ProtonVPN. Grab my time-limited ProtonVPN deals!
- Download and install the ProtonVPN app on your device(s).
- Open the VPN app and enter your “Username” and “Password.” Then, click “Sign in.”
- Click the “Kill switch” icon, then click “Permanent kill switch” from the pop-up window. This prevents IP/DNS leaks in case your ProtonVPN connection drops accidentally.
- Click the hamburger icon in the top left corner, then click “Settings.”
- Go to Connection > Protocol and choose a suitable protocol. I recommend the WireGuard protocol for a fast and secure connection.
- Tap the “Close” command to return to the VPN’s home page.
- Click “Quick Connect” to connect to the fastest available server. Or type your preferred server in the VPN’s search bar.
- Test for IP/DNS leaks. My IP/DNS leak test confirmed the assigned new IP address mimics the server location I picked in Step 9 above.
- Enjoy a secure and unrestricted internet connection from Canada!
How to Get a Canadian IP Address With ProtonVPN?
ProtonVPN operates 40+ servers in Canada. So, you can get a Canadian IP address to secure your internet connections and access Crave TV, BNN Bloomberg, CTV, CBC, and other Canadian streaming platforms or web services.
- Launch the ProtonVPN app on your device and log in.
- Complete steps 4-7 above.
- Type “Canada” in the VPN search bar.
- Click the “Connect” option against “Canada.”
- Or, tap the inverted caret symbol to access ProtonVPN servers in different Canadian cities.
- Conduct an IP/DNS leak test to confirm you’re assigned a new Canadian IP address based on your server choice in Step 5 above.
- Enjoy your new Canada IP address to prevent the government, ISP, or other third parties from prying into your data.
What’s the Best ProtonVPN Protocol in Canada?
ProtonVPN’s WireGuard and IKEv2 protocols perform exceptionally in Canada, offering high-security standards and fast connection speeds.
However, the WireGuard protocol is preferably the best, balancing security, speed, and stability.
OpenVPN (UDP & TCP) is another ProtonVPN protocol you can use in Canada in instances where it’s the only protocol your device supports.
This is the case with Linux. However, choose the UDP mode since it performs better than TCP.
Luckily, ProtonVPN supports Smart Protocol, an anticensorship feature that intelligently diagnoses your network and connection type to find and connect you via the best VPN protocol.
Does ProtonVPN Offer a Free Trial in Canada?
Yes, ProtonVPN offers a free version in Canada, which is a forever free plan.
You can use the free version to protect your connection but only over servers in three countries; Japan, Netherlands, and the USA.
Luckily, you get the ProtonVPN free version on Mac, Windows, Chromebook, iOS, Android, and Linux devices, even though you can’t connect to multiple devices simultaneously.
Here’s how to get it:
- Visit ProtonVPN’s official website on your browser.
- Scroll down and click “Free VPN” under “FEATURES.”
- Click “Get Proton VPN Free.”
- Fill in the required information (Email and Password), then click “Create Account.”
- Enter the verification code sent in the email provided in Step 4 and click “Verify.”
- Click “Continue with Free” on the new window.
- Choose your device and download the ProtonVPN app.
- That’s it! You’re all set to enjoy the ProtonVPN free version for securing your internet traffic.
How Do I Claim My ProtonVPN Refund in Canada?
ProtonVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on all its paid plans.
During this period, you can access and try diverse premium VPN features, such as ten simultaneous connections, 2900+ servers in 68 countries, live chat support, and much more.
If you don’t want to continue your ProtonVPN subscription, you can claim your refund by filling out the VPN service provider’s support form.
Alternatively, contact ProtonVPN customer support via live chat for quick and further assistance.
But there’s a catch! ProtonVPN refunds a percentage of the unused days of the 30 days. For instance, if you claim a refund on day 15 of your subscription, you’ll be refunded an amount equivalent to the remaining 15 days!
What’s the Best ProtonVPN Server to Use in Canada?
ProtonVPN operates 2900+ servers in 68 countries for streaming, torrenting, bypassing ISP speed throttling, and securing users’ connections against third-party interference.
You also get 44 servers strategically located in different Canadian cities to obtain a Canadian IP address for CTV, CBC, YTV, and other Canadian TV channels from abroad.
So, the best ProtonVPN server in Canada is dependent on the intended use.
In line with that, the best ProtonVPN streaming server depends on the country where your preferred streaming service is available. For example, I enjoyed smooth and lag-free access to:
- Netflix US over the New York server
- France.tv over the France server
- NRK over the Norway server
- Voot over the India server
- BBC iPlayer over the UK server
Meanwhile, unblocking Canada-restricted content like CBC, CTV, and TSN requires a ProtonVPN Canada server. Also, the Canadian servers are the nearest for Canadian residents. After all, nearby servers deliver faster download speeds ideal for seamless torrenting in Canada.
How to Use the ProtonVPN Browser Extension in Canada?
You can use ProtonVPN in Canada via its Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. However, this method only encrypts your browser traffic/data, leaving other apps/activities on your device exposed.
So, with that in mind, here’s how to set up the VPN’s browser extension:
- Visit ProtonVPN’s official website.
- Scroll down and click “VPN for Chrome” or “VPN for Firefox.” I’ll use “VPN for Chrome” to demonstrate this example.
- Click “Download extension.”
- Tap “Add to Chrome.”
- Click “Add extension.”
- Click the “Extensions” icon at the top right corner of your browser.
- Click “Proton VPN” from the drop-down menu.
- Click “Sign in.”
- Enter your “Username” and “Password” as prompted.
- Click “Sign in.”
- Navigate again to the top right corner of your browser and click the “Extensions” icon.
- Click “Proton VPN.”
- Use the VPN’s search bar to find your desired server and connect.
- Congratulations! Your browser activities are now encrypted.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, ProtonVPN offers a Port Forwarding feature in Canada to all its users with paid plans. However, the feature is currently available on Windows only, meaning users on other platforms won’t have it.
Enjoy Secure Internet Freedom in Canada Now!
ProtonVPN is an impressive Canada VPN offering 2900+ servers in 68 countries for bypassing ISPs’ speed throttling, unblocking Netflix libraries and other geo-restricted services, and securing online connections.
Also, the VPN manages 40+ Canadian servers for accessing Canada-specific streaming services and torrenting on a fast and lag-free connection.
And the best part is that this Swiss VPN provider offers a free VPN version as a lifetime deal. However, upgrading to paid plans (save with my one-time ProtonVPN discounts) doesn’t hurt since you can claim your money back within 30 days of the trial!