Surfshark is an excellent VPN to unblock CBC outside Canada, thanks to its Canadian servers, reliable encryption, content unblocking ability, and fast speeds to stream CBC in high quality.
It also provides servers in multiple Canadian cities so users in Canada can stream with less ping from a location closest to them.
Read the rest of this guide to learn how to set up Surfshark to watch CBC in the USA and abroad and what to do when it’s not working.
How to Unblock CBC With Surfshark in Canada and Abroad?
Always enable the kill switch, choose a suitable protocol, and connect to a Canadian server to unblock the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC)’s channels with Surfshark in Canada or abroad.
The detailed instructions below show you how to get each task done.
Enable the Kill Switch
The Surfshark kill switch prevents IP/DNS leaks to CBC’s servers if the VPN connection accidentally drops. In other words, CBC doesn’t find out you’re streaming its service over a Virtual Private Network (VPN), not even for a moment.
Follow these steps to enable the Surfshark kill switch.
- Launch the Surfshark app.
- Open the app settings.
- Select “VPN Settings.”
- Toggle the kill switch.
- Optional: You can modify the kill switch’s behavior from the dropdown menu.
Surfshark provides a kill switch in the iOS and Android app too.
Fortunately, the instructions to find and toggle it are similar to the PC app, so just follow the steps above.
Connect to a Canada Server
CBC is geo-restricted to Canada alone. So, you should change your IP to Canada to access the streaming platform.
These steps help you do that:
- Launch the Surfshark app. Or, return to the VPN home screen if already launched.
- Search for “Canada.”
- Optional: Click the tiny button (in the green box) above to get each server location’s ping/latency values.
- Click on a preferred city. I’ll use Toronto for this example.
- Wait for the connection confirmation.
- Test for leaks by going to ipleak.net.
- Browse the web and watch CBC Network like you’re in Canada.
If the leak test shows your real IP and DNS addresses, disconnect from the VPN and reconnect.
Otherwise, unblocking CBC safely or encrypting your internet activity may not work.
Stream CBC With Surfshark
Now that you’ve enabled the kill switch and set up with a Canadian server, it’s time to stream Ottawa Morning, Mighty Express, CBC News Network, or other preferred CBC content from anywhere.
These steps will guide you there.
- Open your browser in Incognito Mode.
- Go to the official CBC News website.
- Look for the content you want to stream.
- Play and watch the preferred content.
The same applies to streaming CBC on your mobile devices.
Suppose you have access to the app in your region. In that case, substitute using the app for going to the official website.
What Makes Surfshark Compatible for CBC?
Surfshark is compatible with CBC due to its numerous servers in Canada, choice of Canadian cities to connect to, and reliable unblocking ability.
Below, I’ve summarized some key reasons to use Surfshark to watch CBC in Canada.
- Multiple Canada servers. Surfshark maintains 330+ servers in Canada to allow you to watch CBC without suffering server congestion.
- Decent streaming speeds. Surfshark’s servers are optimized for 1Gbps – 10Gbps speeds, making them a great tool to unblock CBC in HD.
- Choice city server locations. Surfshark has servers in three Canadian cities. Thus, you can choose the closest Canadian server (if you’re in Canada) or unblock specific city-related news on CBC.
- Streaming platform support. Surfshark is compatible with Roku, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire TV/Firestick, all of which you can stream CBC on.
- Multi-platform support. Mobile (iOS and Android) and PC (Windows, Linux, Mac, and Chromebook) support mean you can stream CBC on almost any device with Surfshark.
- SmartDNS support. Surfshark offers a Smart DNS package (as a free add-on) to watch CBC on supported smart TVs and other devices that can’t download a VPN.
- Unlimited device support. You can stream CBC on unlimited devices under a single Surfshark subscription. Plus, you never have to worry about bandwidth throttling.
How to Download CBC App Outside Canada?
The CBC app is usually only available in Canada. However, you can still download it from some out-of-market regions.
Suppose it’s not available in your device’s Google Play Store or iOS App Store.
In that case, change your device’s region to Canada to have access.
I found helpful videos to change your Android and iOS device’s app store region to guide you through the process.
Alternatively, Android users may get the app’s raw file (in apk format) from a trusted friend or family member.
That said, NEVER download the cracked file version or get it from untrusted external sources (like websites). These websites may use the app to ship malware onto your device and steal sensitive information from your phone.
Also, you may be unable to change the region for a while, such as the 365-day limit on Google’s Play Store. So, ensure to have the facts right before doing this.
What Devices Can I Stream CBC On?
You can access CBC on mobile devices, PC, or supported smart TV units.
You can also download and use the Surfshark native app on these devices.
So, you get CBC live news and other content from outside Canada from any device you prefer.
The table below summarizes the different operating platforms you can stream CBC on, supported devices in the platform category, and other streaming options.
|Device Platform||Supported Devices||CBC Streaming Options||Surfshark Application Options|
|Mobile||iOS and Android||App, website||VPN app|
|PC||Windows, Mac, Linux, and Chromebook||Website||VPN app|
|Smart TV||Android TV sets||App or website||VPN app, Smart DNS|
What Streaming Platforms Have CBC?
What Shows & Channels Can I Watch on CBC and CBC Gem?
CBC and CBC Gem don’t have well-defined channels but spread content over catalogs, including Kids, Sports, Gem, News, and Documentaries.
Some of the popular channels on the streaming service include:
However, you get other curated categories and shows under each main category.
Some of these are detailed in the table below.
|CBC Channel||Curated Categories|
|Art||Big Things Small Towns, Print’s Not Dead, Paper Cuts, etc.|
|News||Live News, Local News, World News|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Diving, Curling, Cycling, etc.|
|Life||DIY, Food, Beauty Tutorials, etc.|
|Music||Backstage Pass, Polaris Prize, Sound Bytes, etc.|
|Documentaries||The Nature of Things, The Passionate Eye, etc.|
Can You Watch CBC With a Free VPN?
I don’t recommend watching CBC with a free VPN. Free VPN service providers often offer limited server locations that don’t include Canada, aren’t reliable at encrypting your connections, and won’t unblock CBC access from abroad.
Also, they’re slow and throttle your bandwidth, causing buffering and lag when streaming news, sports, or other content on CBC. Moreover, free VPNs are notorious for collecting your user data to sell to the highest bidder.
Thus, choose an affordable VPN to watch CBC like Surfshark that allows you to stream CBC on unlimited devices over various Canadian IP addresses.
Plus, it has a 30-day money-back guarantee!
What to Do if Surfshark Isn't Unblocking CBC Access?
Surfshark is a reliable VPN for streaming CBC Gem and CBC in the US (or anywhere).
However, when it’s not working, try any of the fixes below in no particular order:
- Update the VPN app. If an app update is available, it may fix the issue preventing your VPN from unblocking CBC or working correctly.
- Change remote servers. Always connect to Canadian servers to unblock CBC access. If that’s already the case, disconnect and connect to another Canadian server.
- Disable Rotating IPs. Rotating IPs is a nice privacy feature, but it may make CBC catch on to your VPN activity. So, disable it from the Surfshark settings.
- Test for leaks. Go to ipleak.net and see if your device is transmitting over the Canadian IP or your actual IP. In the latter case, disconnect and reconnect.
- Clear cache and cookies. When watching via browsers, your cache and cookies may interfere with the VPN’s unblocking ability. Clear them to make it work again.
- Use incognito mode. Incognito/Private browsing mode keeps the cache and cookies away. Try it if your browser isn’t giving you access to CBC content.
- Enable the kill switch. The kill switch is vital to prevent IP/DNS leaks that kick you off CBC’s platform. Always enable it.
- Switch VPN protocol. WireGuard is the best protocol for streaming CBC content. Check that it’s the enabled one.
- Speak with customer support. If all else fails, complain to a customer support agent. They’ll help you troubleshoot and get to the root of the issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
CBC may block VPN access to its network to comply with licensing and regulations that define where it can broadcast content. Also, some VPN IP addresses may be blacklisted to prevent access.
Thankfully, Surfshark has hundreds of Canadian IP addresses with reliable encryption in three cities. So, you can always connect to another one if you can’t unblock CBC over any of the other Canadian servers.
You can watch CBC Gem content with Surfshark by connecting to its Canadian servers before logging into your account. Thankfully, Surfshark is fast enough to get the full HD and 1080p quality that CBC Gem premium subscribers paid for.
You can get CBC News and CBC Gem content on Sling TV, Hulu, and DAZN, among other providers. However, you may not get all CBC and CBC Gem content on these streaming services. So, you’ll have to revert to the main CBC streaming apps or websites.
You can watch CBC online in USA, access CBC Gem abroad, and watch other local CBC TV channels from outside Canada with a reliable VPN that provides a Canadian IP address.
Surfshark is a premium VPN provider that unblocks the CBC Gem app, gets you CBC sports on supported platforms, and gives access to other CBC channels.
Plus, you get unlimited simultaneous connections for watching CBC on multiple devices.
You can watch CBC for free with Surfshark in Canada, but you have to put up with ads, and you may not get full exclusive access to CBC News.
This is why CBC put up Gem Premium to get on-demand videos without ads, access the entire library of original CBC TV shows, and get the complete CBC News network.
Enjoy Your CBC Streams
Streaming CBC with Surfshark is straightforward and provides the easiest way to get the Canadian TV service’s content from abroad.
Surfshark’s unlimited simultaneous device connections mean your entire household can unblock and stream CBC from anywhere. On top of that, it’s one of the most affordable VPN providers.
Luckily, these Surfshark deals will help you save more with a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee. So, watch CBC in USA today!