Gaming with AtlasVPN is an infallible approach to avert lag spikes and achieve lower pings in games like Fortnite, PUBG, League of Legends, Dota 2, Overwatch, GTA V online, etc.
While its free service isn’t suitable for gaming, its premium version hooked me on Valorant with its phenomenal speeds.
In this guide, I’ll shed light on all the pros & cons of gaming with Atlas VPN and installation procedures on PC, smartphones, and Playstation 4/5 to play games safely.
But if Atlas VPN doesn’t deliver, I’ll also discuss alternatives to Atlas VPN for gaming.
Why Is Atlas VPN Good for Gaming?
- Lightning-fast speeds: Atlas VPN offers tremendous speeds to reduce ping and lag, allowing you to conquer castles or slay foes like the wind. It amazed me with 98 Mbps download and 46.59 Mbps upload speed.
- Get early access to new games: Isn’t it frustrating when you’ve been waiting for a certain game, but the devs decide to launch it only in the US or some other region? I’ve been there, but no more since I can now switch to any of the Atlas VPN’s 750+ servers to spoof my location and bypass such censorship.
- Shield against DDoS attacks: Atlas VPN has a powerful setup of protocols combined with AES-256 encryption to offer the finest resistance to cyberattacks and swatting hoaxes from vicious players. It’ll also prevent your ISP from noticing your bandwidth-heavy gaming, leaving no room for speed throttling.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections: This is the feature that intrigued me the most. You can connect as many gaming devices and consoles to a single account of AtlasVPN – perfect for sharing costs with your guild!
- Affordable gaming VPN: Atlas VPN is also among the most pocket-friendly VPNs in the industry. With this exclusive deal, you’ll get HUGE discounts and an additional 30-day money-back guarantee.
Drawbacks of Atlas VPN for Gaming
Atlas VPN may be a good gaming VPN, but it’s far from perfect.
During my tests, I came across some notable drawbacks, including
- No support for routers: Atlas VPN has no OpenVPN protocol and unlike other industry-leading VPNs like NordVPN, you can’t install it on routers.
- No SmartDNS tool: Another disappointment is no SmartDNS – a feature that opens up an avenue to set up a VPN on consoles from the DNS settings.
- Limited server network: Atlas VPN’s miniature server network can sometimes get overcrowded. CyberGhost, which comes at a nearly equal cost, offers a 12X bigger server network proposing optimal resources to every user.
If the lack of these features makes you look at Atlas VPN as a bummer, cheer up, as I’ll showcase a few alternative gaming VPNs in an upcoming section.
First, I’ll demonstrate how I installed Atlas VPN to conduct these tests.
How to Use Atlas VPN for Gaming? (Step-By-Step Guide)
Before following the tutorials to secure gaming, purchase an Atlas VPN subscription.
Set up Atlas VPN for PC Gaming
- Install the app by obeying the installation wizard.
- Launch the Atlas VPN app and sign in with your credentials.
- Choose your server location from the catalog or toggle the VPN slider to the right to connect automatically to the fastest server.
- Once the VPN is connected, enjoy gaming safely.
Set up Atlas VPN for Mobile Gaming
Here are instructions to enjoy any mobile game that’s banned in your country, like PUBG in India.
- Go to the Google Play Store or Apple App Store and download the Atlas VPN app.
- Once installed, log in with your credentials.
- Approve the connection requests on Android or allow the app to add VPN configurations if you’re using an iPhone or iPad.
- Establish a connection with any servers to relish restrictionless mobile gaming with AtlasVPN.
Set up Atlas VPN on PS4/PS5 & Xbox Consoles
Since Atlas VPN doesn’t offer SmartDNS, you have solely one approach left to use it on gaming consoles- a mobile hotspot. Using a hotspot, set up a VPN-enabled virtual router on your windows or mac device. I’ve illustrated the tutorial below.
- Visit the Network settings and select “Open Network & Internet Settings.”
- Choose the “Mobile hotspot” option.
- Toggle the mobile hotspot slider and pick WiFi from the “Share my internet connection from” menu.
- Next, edit Properties, select the “Sharing” tab, and tick the “Allow other network users to connect through the computer’s connection” box.
- Select the Atlas VPN network from “Home networking connection” and apply the changes with “OK.”
- Now, join a VPN server with Atlas VPN to turn your Windows PC into a virtual VPN router.
If you have a mac device, follow these steps:
- Go to the general settings > Sharing.
- Toggle the “Internet sharing” slider and click on the “i” next to it.
- Pick the Atlas VPN adapter from the “Share your connection from” dropdown and check the WiFi box in the “To computer using” menu.
- Connect your mac device to any Atlas VPN server to transform it into a virtual VPN router.
Now that you’ve configured your PC/Mac as a virtual VPN router, all that is left to do is connect your PS4/PS5 or Xbox console to this virtual router like you join any usual WiFi connection.
Alternatives to Atlas VPN for Gaming
I’ve compiled the top three alternatives to Atlas VPN that take your gaming experience to a new level.
Surfshark - Low-Cost VPN With Infinite Simultaneous Connections
Surfshark comes with essential gaming functionalities like Router support at a cost similar to Atlas VPN. Some more of its superior gaming features are:
- 3200+ servers worldwide to access thousands of regional game titles and buy them at a discounted price.
- A benevolent capability of infinite simultaneous connections to encrypt the traffic of all your gaming devices.
- Unlike Atlas VPN, It even lets you utilize SmartDNS to easily set up the VPN connection on PS4/PS5 or Xbox consoles.
- Surfshark also delivers ultra-fast speeds to enjoy smooth gaming with low latency. I was very satisfied with the 19 Mbps download and 62.10 Mbps upload speed it averaged on a 100 Mbps connection.
Get a terrific deal on Surfshark for gaming at a discounted rate with a 30-day risk-free refund policy.
NordVPN - The Most Secure Gaming VPN With Blazing-Speeds
NordVPN is a world-renowned gaming VPN. Let’s catch a glimpse at some of the offerings that make it a better package than Atlas VPN:
- It lets users choose from 5500+ servers in 60 countries to bypass wider geo-restrictions and access unavailable games and DLCs.
- Configure the NordVPN connection on your router to secure all the connected devices without hiccups.
- Unlike Atlas VPN, NordVPN also offers dedicated IP addresses that you can use to avoid gaming bans since these can’t be logged as VPN IPs.
- It furthermore has SmartDNS that lets you utilize a fast VPN connection on your gaming consoles without encryption.
- NordVPN delivers one of the fastest speeds in the industry, thanks to its “NordLynx” protocol. I got a phenomenal 40 Mbps download and 87.59 upload speeds during my tests.
Claim a splendid deal on NordVPN with our exclusive discounts, and relish the 30-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost - Connect to Gaming-Optimized Servers
CyberGhost is a rare VPN with dedicated gaming servers unavailable in Atlas VPN. These servers offer the lowest latency. Here are some of its other prestigious traits:
- A colossal library with 9000+ servers in 90+ countries to bypass IP bans and evade price discrimination in game stores.
- I found its UI excellent for beginners with one-click connection presets like ”Best server location,” etc.
- Install CyberGhost on your router to use it on Playstation, Xbox, or Nintendo Switch. In addition, you can also set it up using SmartDNS.
- CyberGhost also helps you prevent lag spikes and achieve lower game pings. It offered me a remarkable 60 Mbps download, and 78.02 Mbps upload speed.
With its generous 45-day money-back guarantee and our limited discounts, claim an incredible deal on CyberGhost.
You won’t get banned for using Atlas VPN to encrypt your gaming traffic.
However, storefronts like Steam or Epic Games prohibit the use of VPNs for purchasing games and DLCs to force regional prices.
You can use the Atlas VPN free version to play games. However, it won’t be a pleasant experience as it has too many limitations, including inconsistent speeds, only three functional servers in two countries, and a data cap of 5GB/month.
The AtlasVPN server closest to your real location is generally the best for gaming because it delivers the best speeds and lowest pings. In my case, the Hong Kong server is the closest one that runs games effortlessly.
You can use AtlasVPN to play Gambling & Casino games anonymously, including betting, blackjack, and even entering The Diamond Casino & Resort in GTA 5 if it’s restricted in your country.
Congrats on making it through the entire guide to gaming with Atlas VPN.
If you can’t miss out on features like router support and SmartDNS, I recommend sticking with the finer alternatives like NordVPN.
However, I think Atlas VPN is a majestic gaming VPN with your priorities being lightning-fast speeds and unlimited simultaneous connections.
It can do everything you’d expect from a gaming VPN, like downloading restricted games and accessing multiple server lobbies.
Give your gaming a flying start with Atlas VPN via this incredible 2-year deal.