You can play Rocket League with Surfshark to enjoy uninterrupted matches, thanks to its fast speeds and DDoS protection.
The VPN also helps if your ISP throttles gaming traffic. Plus, Surfshark offers 3200+ servers in 100 countries to access foreign Rocket League servers without skyrocketing ping.
However, Surfshark doesn’t support port forwarding – a necessary feature for Rocket League troubleshooting. Thus, I also included reliable alternatives.
Ready to outscore your opponents and climb up the league? Keep reading!
How to Use Surfshark With Rocket League on PC?
Using Surfshark to play Rocket League on PC takes minutes.
Here are the steps:
- Sign up for Surfshark.
- Download and install the Surfshark VPN app on your device.
- Launch the Surfshark VPN app and sign in.
- Open the server list and connect to a Surfshark server to bypass your school or work network’s Rocket League filters.
To unblock the game at school or work, connect to the Surfshark auto-selected server for the fastest speeds. Should you experience lags when playing on a foreign Rocket League server, connect to a Surfshark server in the region the Rocket League server is in.
- Start Rocket League and hit the rocket boosts to soar through the air and deceive your opponents with unstoppable aerial goals.
How to Use Surfshark for Rocket League on Game Console?
Surfshark provides a SmartDNS service for playing Rocket League on Xbox and PlayStation. This allows faster speeds and lower latency since it lacks encryption.
But that also means Smart DNS won’t prevent DDoS attacks.
Furthermore, Surfshark’s Smart DNS is only good for playing on Rocket League’s US-East and US-West servers since it only has US DNS addresses.
If that’s a dealbreaker, you can set up the VPN on your console via a router or mobile hotspot.
Play Rocket League via Smart DNS
Here is how to set up Surfshark SmartDNS for Rocket League on your Xbox One or PlayStation:
- Sign up for Surfshark if you’re yet to.
- Log into your Surfshark account dashboard.
- Select the VPN tab, then Smart DNS, and Activate Smart DNS.
- Wait for Surfshark to provide you with Smart DNS addresses. Write these down, as you’ll need them when configuring your console.
- Turn on your Xbox or PS and enter the Surfshark DNS address in Network Settings. Now, you can enjoy lower ping and avoid lags that would otherwise ruin your shots and lose the game.
Play Rocket League via Router
Surfshark works with many routers, and you can easily see if your router is compatible by looking at the user manual.
Here is a detailed guide on how to set up Surfshark on Asus routers.
If you have a DD-WRT, follow the video guide below to set up Surfshark and play Rocket League on your game console.
If you don’t have access to a compatible router, you can install the VPN on your PC and share its connection to your console via a mobile hotspot.
This works on macOS with the IKEv2 protocol, but I’ll use Windows for this example.
Here are the steps:
- Open Surfshark, go to Settings > VPN settings, and change the protocol to OpenVPN UDP.
- Connect to a Surfshark server to bypass your ISP’s throttling. This eliminates lags, allowing you to execute the perfect demos and create scoring chances easily.
- Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Hotspot and enable “Share my internet connection with other devices.”
- In the same window, click “Change adapter options” under “Related settings.”
- Find your active Surfshark network connection.
- Right-click Surfshark network connection (in my case, it’s the Local Area Connection tagged OpenVPN Data Channel Offload) and select Properties.
- Select the “Sharing” tab and check “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.”
- Click “Select a private network connection” and select your mobile hotspot connection from the drop-down menu.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Connect your gaming console to the resulting Windows mobile hotspot.
- Launch Rocket League and start your journey to championship titles.
Best Surfshark Alternatives for Rocket League
While Surfshark offers incredible speeds to win Rocket League matches without lag, its lack of port forwarding will be problematic for some users.
For instance, if you see the “Unable to Connect” error while playing Rocket League with Surfshark, you need an alternative VPN to open ports for Rocket League.
I recommend the following providers that offer port forwarding for unblocking connections to the game servers.
Furthermore, PrivateVPN rivals Surfsharks regarding speeds, with a mere -12% slowdown. In my tests, I enjoyed smooth 3v3s while live streaming on Twitch in Ultra HD with zero lags.
It also has robust DDoS protection on all servers to protect your connection from targeted disconnects. Best of all, PrivateVPN is more affordable than Surfshark.
Private Internet Access (PIA)
PIA supports Port Forwarding, quickly solving Rocket League server connection issues that can ruin your tournament rankings.
PIA’s port forwarding works on most routers, allowing you to use it on your Xbox and PlayStation.
Plus, PIA rivals Surfshark’s server network, with servers in 91 countries.
This lets you find fast servers nearby, whether in Australia, the US, or Iran.
While it’s slightly slower than Surfshark, PIA is fast enough for playing Rocket League in Rumble mode. I didn’t experience lags during my tests, even when connected to distant servers.
PIA also offers a superior Smart DNS service than Surfshark, with DNS servers in the US, UK, Germany, the Netherlands, and Japan.
Thus, you can use PIA Smart DNS to lower ping on Europe and Asia East Rocket League servers.
Surfshark unblocks Rocket League in Iran when you connect to a VPN server in a country where the game is available. You can use it to play Rocket League in Iran on all Rocket League devices, including PlayStation and Xbox.
Change Rocket League Regions With Surfshark
Surfshark works well with Rocket League on all supported platforms, allowing you to bypass bans, enjoy lower ping on foreign servers, and avoid DDoS attacks.
However, the provider doesn’t support port forwarding.
If you’re looking for a VPN that allows that (for connectivity problems), I recommend PrivateVPN.
Still, Surfshark offers super-fast speeds, so you can pull off demos and freestyle on your opponents without lags.
Ready to get started? Grab our exclusive Surfshark discount and save on your first subscription.