NordVPN works in Ukraine, unblocking content abroad and granting access to Russian content (like Yandex and Mail.ru), which has been blocked on the country’s servers.
You even get Ukrainian servers in Kyiv to unblock and download torrents securely or browse the local web without letting your ISP see what you’re doing online.
On top of that, NordVPN offers Threat Protection, DDoS protection, and other security-focused features to protect your online activities against cyber-attacks rampant in Ukraine today.
Want to learn more about how NordVPN works in Ukraine and how to get the best of it? Keep reading!
How to Use NordVPN in Ukraine?
Using NordVPN in Ukraine is as easy as choosing the right protocol and server to connect without forgetting to enable the kill switch.
Here’s a stepwise guide to doing all that in less than 5 minutes:
- Buy a NordVPN subscription if you don’t have one already.
- Download the NordVPN app for your preferred devices. I’ll discuss options to download the app in Ukraine below.
- Launch the NordVPN app and log in with your account credentials. I’ll use NordVPN’s Windows PC app for this demonstration.
- Login with your account credentials.
- Enable the VPN’s kill switch to prevent accidental IP/DNS leaks. Go to Settings > Kill Switch > toggle “Internet Kill Switch.”
- Choose a preferred protocol. I recommend NordLynx for speed and security in Ukraine. Go to Settings > Connection > VPN protocols > NordLynx.
- Go to the VPN home page and click the dropdown icon.
- Search for a preferred server country. I’ll use the United Kingdom for this example.
- Connect to the main location, or choose a preferred server city (if available).
- Wait for the connection confirmation, then test for leaks. I use www.ipleak.net.
- Start browsing the secure web from Ukraine and unblock content anywhere.
The server you choose is significant to the content you can unblock/access on the web.
Here's a guide to choosing the best server location.
How to Get a Ukrainian IP Address on NordVPN?
You can connect to a local Ukraine server to encrypt your internet connection without losing access to your Alfa Bank, OTP Bank, or other Ukrainian bank accounts.
This is also an acceptable way to secure your local internet connection from ISPs like Vodafone while still streaming/accessing local content (like STB streams).
Here’s how to get a Ukrainian IP address on NordVPN:
- Purchase a NordVPN subscription. Grab these discount offers before they run out.
- Follow steps 2-7 above.
- Search for Ukraine. Click on the server location to connect.
- Continue with steps 10-11 from above.
I recommend conducting TWO leak tests if you’re connecting to a local VPN server.
The first test should be before connecting to the VPN service, informing you of your actual Ukrainian IP address. The second test should be after connecting to the VPN, letting you know if you’ve got a new Ukraine IP address or if your device is still transmitting internet traffic from the old one.
That way, you can rest assured of no leaks rather than erroneously assume that you’re covered by a VPN-assigned IP address.
How to Download NordVPN in Ukraine?
VPNs are legal in Ukraine and haven’t been widely banned, but the government may restrict your access to VPN websites. That way, it can prevent you from circumventing censorship of Russian and other global content it doesn’t want you to see.
Luckily, there are multiple ways to get NordVPN in the country.
Download NordVPN Apps Before Getting to the Country
Remember to download the NordVPN PC (Windows, macOS, Linux, etc.) and mobile (iOS and Android) apps for your devices before you land in Ukraine.
In fact, I recommend that you install the apps and get them running too.
If you don’t already have a subscription, you might not be able to access the VPN’s website to pay for one when you get to Ukraine. So, I recommend these NordVPN discounts to ensure you’ve checked all the boxes.
Download From App Stores
This applies if you can still find the NordVPN app on your Ukrainian mobile app store.
It also remains the best option to get the app on your mobile devices.
Interested VPN users traveling to Ukraine from other regions will be more in luck here, as their mobile app stores are connected to other regions where the VPN app is available. Otherwise, try any of the other methods here.
Download From the Official Website
Most PC app stores lack the NordVPN app. But that’s not an issue since it’s offered on the VPN website instead.
So, head to the NordVPN official download page and get your preferred PC app.
Download From Mirror Websites
NordVPN has mirror sites that fly under the radar of governments and ISPs who block access to its main website. These mirror websites enjoy all the features of the real site but under a different name, IP, and DNS address.
I recommend speaking with NordVPN’s customer support to get official mirror websites.
Otherwise, you may land on phishing sites set up by scammers to look like the real thing.
This option is best for PC users since they can download their apps from mirror websites. In contrast, mobile users will still be redirected to their official app stores, where the app might not be available.
Get Installation Files From a Friend
Sideloading NordVPN installation files is only advisable when you get them from a trusted friend/source. Otherwise, you may mistakenly sideload malware onto your devices and cause more harm than good.
On top of that, this approach works best for Windows PC, Linux environments, and Android smartphone users. Unless you’ve jailbroken your MacOS and iOS devices (not advised), you may not be able to sideload apps on them.
What Makes NordVPN Suitable for Ukraine?
NordVPN isn’t just a good VPN for Ukraine because it works there.
It packs a ton of security, privacy, and fun-focused features to make a difference in the country.
Here are a few.
Massive VPN Server Library
NordVPN’s haul of 5300+ servers in 59 countries makes it suitable to unblock content anywhere and prevent server overcrowding while at it.
Thus, you can get access to the following streaming services over its servers while in Ukraine:
It also has Ukrainian servers to encrypt your internet connection and keep getting local content.
Fast VPN Servers
You can get up to 33 Mbps speeds on NordVPN, enough to unblock 4K content streams (which only requires 25Mbps) from anywhere without lag.
I tested this VPN provider across three internet service providers, connected to different server locations each time, and got impressive results. You can see the details of these tests below.
Connected to a 25Mbps network (New Zealand server):
Connected to a 45 Mbps network (Canada server):
Connected to a 100Mbps network (US server):
In some instances, NordVPN even got me better than my base ISP speeds, showing that it can bypass ISP throttling.
Online Privacy and Security Suite
NordVPN packs multiple features to promote online privacy and security whenever you connect to its servers. Here are my favorites:
- AES 256-bit encryption: Ensures no one, not even your ISP, can see what you do online once you’ve connected to NordVPN.
- Zero logs policy: NordVPN can’t see what you do on its servers. Plus, it can’t collect information about your online activity to give to your government, the authorities, or other third parties.
- P2P support: With specialty P2P servers, NordVPN safeguards you from copyright trolls and your ISPs when downloading torrent files.
- Public Wi-Fi protection: Now, you can connect to public Wi-Fi networks at Star Pizza Café (Odessa), Buddha Bar (Kiev), The Unitas Pub (Lviv), or elsewhere without getting hacked or snooped on by network admins.
- Threat protection: This single feature packs an anti-malware, ads blocker, and tracker blocker in one. Follow this guide to learn more about Threat Protection.
- Dark web monitor: Keeps you safe by scanning the dark web for instances of your email, phone number, or other sensitive details. That way, you can act fast if your information is ever breached.
- Kill switch: The best way to ensure your IP and DNS addresses never leak, even if the VPN connection randomly drops.
There’s more where that came from, but these are enough to show how much NordVPN cares about your privacy and security.
How Much Does NordVPN Cost in Ukraine?
NordVPN offers three pricing packages (Standard, Plus, and Complete) across three durations (monthly, 1-year, and 2-year). Thus, the final cost depends on whether you want the VPN alone, with some add-ons, and what duration you’re paying for.
I recommend the multi-year deals for the best discounts and long-term pricing.
NordVPN doesn’t use the Hryvnia currency pricing system in Ukraine, retaining its global USD pricing for the region. Fortunately, you’ll only get charged the USD equivalent of any currency you choose to pay with.
You may also be charged taxes (like VAT) and extra processing fees (due to your payment processor), but these are usually negligible.
Speaking of payment processors, NordVPN accepts the following payment options in Ukraine:
|Payment Option||Example Providers|
|Credit & Debit cards||MasterCard, Visa, Amex, Discover, etc.|
|Cryptocurrencies||Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, etc.|
However, PayPal is missing from the list since NordVPN has stopped using PayPal for a lot of regions for security and privacy reasons.
Best Alternative VPNs to NordVPN in Ukraine?
NordVPN does a great job in Ukraine, but it could be better in some areas.
If you like to shop around before settling on this VPN, or it doesn’t meet your expectations in Ukraine, here are some alternatives to explore.
ExpressVPN also boasts a server in Ukraine and features 3000+ servers elsewhere, but that’s not what makes it stand apart from NordVPN. Here are a few pointers:
- Automatic obfuscation: ExpressVPN uses automatic obfuscation on all servers and protocols to hide your VPN traffic and bypass VPN traffic blocks/firewalls in Ukraine.
- Ultra-fast speeds: NordVPN may be fast, but ExpressVPN is faster. For example, it got 34Mbps on the 45 Mbps network, whereas NordVPN managed 33Mbps. And that’s with ExpressVPN’s obfuscation enabled!
- Easier router setup: ExpressVPN and NordVPN allow you to set them up on routers to protect all connected devices. However, the process is far easier with ExpressVPN and technical with NordVPN.
- Larger coverage: NordVPN has servers in 59 countries, but ExpressVPN has servers in 94 countries. So, you can unblock content in more locations with ExpressVPN.
That said, ExpressVPN is pricier than NordVPN. So, grab these limited-time offers to get a discount and test it risk-free for 30 days.
Surfshark might not have as many servers as NordVPN, but it beats the provider in several aspects you should care about in Ukraine. Here goes:
- Broader server coverage: Surfshark has recently expanded to 100 countries. Thus, it’s a better bet to access content in more countries than NordVPN can reach.
- Faster speeds: Surfshark is even faster than NordVPN, scoring 39 Mbps on the 45Mbps network NordVPN managed 33 Mbps And that’s with the WireGuard protocol, as opposed to NordVPN’s in-house protocol.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections: The best thing about Surfshark is that it doesn’t limit you to connecting six devices as NordVPN does. Instead, you can connect ALL your devices.
- Cheaper option: With everything Surfshark offers, it still costs less than NordVPN and doesn’t sacrifice quality/security.
Enjoy Surfshark’s cheaper pricing with these HUGE discounts before they run out.
CyberGhost shames NordVPN with its bigger server network, but that’s not all there is between these two:
- Bigger server network and reach: While NordVPN may offer more servers than the other two, CyberGhost’s 9000+ servers in 90+ countries beat it on both counts.
- Specialized servers: NordVPN has specialized (P2P) servers for torrenting, the same as CyberGhost. On top of that, CyberGhost’s streaming and gaming-optimized servers make it easier to use.
- Faster connection speeds: CyberGhost is slightly faster than NordVPN, recording 37Mbps on the 45 Mbps network test.
- More simultaneous connections: You get one more than NordVPN here, with seven simultaneous device connections.
The best part? CyberGhost costs less than NordVPN with these fantastic deals, allowing you to test the VPN risk-free for 45 days.
Get the Ultimate Online Privacy in Ukraine
NordVPN isn’t perfect, but it’s one of the best VPN services you can get for Ukraine.
Considering its impressive fleet of local and global servers, reliable unblocking, trustworthy security and privacy features, and decent connection speed, it’s no pushover.
And being one of the few VPNs you can always count on in the Ukrainian region, it deserves a big hand.
Want some savings? Get these NordVPN deals, and you’ll qualify for a 30-day money-back guarantee to risk-free test it.