In today’s fast-paced digital age, the popularity and importance of mobile applications have skyrocketed, transforming how people live, work, and socialize.
From entertainment and communication to shopping and productivity, there is an app for every aspect of our daily lives.
But are the numbers growing? I did in-depth research and came up with the latest data and insights on the global app market, exploring app downloads, usage, revenue, and user engagement.
Whether you’re a developer, marketer, or curious consumer, this list will give you a deeper understanding of the app landscape and the trends shaping its future.
Top 6 App Statistics (Editor’s Pick)
- Males visited top dating apps more than women globally in 2022.
- Mobile app advertising revenue will hit $281.7 billion in 2026.
- TikTok was the most downloaded app globally in 2022.
- Finance apps had the most interaction in 2022.
- 82% of mobile app developers were males in 2022.
- Google Play Store had over 3.5 million apps in 2022.
App Usage Statistics
Social apps attracted an average weekly time of 131 minutes, followed by gaming apps with 116 minutes.
2. 39% of active users on Instagram opened the app daily in 2022.
Meanwhile, around 3 in 10 active users on TikTok opened the app daily, followed by 27% of active Facebook users and 26% of Snapchat users between April and June 2022.
App Demographics Statistics
3. Users aged 18 to 24 spent 112.6 hours monthly on mobile apps in 2021.
Those aged 25 to 34 spent an average of 102.4 hours a month on mobile apps, followed by those aged 35 to 44, who spent 93.6 hours a month.
4. Males visited top dating apps more than women globally in 2022.
81% of Tinder visits were by males, while 19% of females visited between October 2021 and November 2022. The table below shows visits made by males and females on Tinder, Bumble, Hinge, and OkCupid.
5. People aged between 25 and 34 used dating apps the most globally in 2022.
48% of visits to OkCupid were done by users aged 25 to 34, and the same age group generated 44% of Hinge. This age bracket also made 42% of the visits to Bumble and 39% to Tinder between October 2021 and November 2022.
Apps Revenue and Ad Statistics
6. Roblox generated daily revenue of over $3 million in the United States.
Candy Crush Saga generated the second-highest revenue in March 2021, with over $2 million in revenue from the app. Coin Master generated the third most revenue with over $1 million.
7. Bumble Inc generated $765.66 million in revenue from Bumble and Badoo apps in 2021.
Of the total revenue generated, $532.92 million came from the Bumble app, while $232.74 million originated from the Badoo app and others.
8. YouTube and HBO Max apps generated the highest revenue in iOS App Store in August 2022.
YouTube and HBO Max apps generated $48 million each in August 2022 alone in iOS App Store, followed by TikTok with $43 million and Tinder with $42 million.
9. Tinder attracted the highest revenue in Google Play Store in August 2022.
Tinder generated $6 million, followed by Life360, with $4 million in revenue for August 2022.
10. Global app revenue hit $133 billion in 2021.
Of the total global app revenue generated, $85.10 billion came from iOS Apps, and $47.90 billion originated from Google Play Apps.
11. Mobile app advertising revenue will hit $281.7 billion in 2026.
In-app purchase revenue is also anticipated to hit $254.3 billion, and paid app is predicted to hit $6.89 billion in revenue in 2026.
12. Mobile app advertising revenue is expected to hit $283.40 billion globally in 2024.
The figure is anticipated to rise to $304.60 billion in 2025 before hitting $322.30 billion globally in 2026. The total advertising revenue is expected to reach $337 billion in 2027, recording around a 19% increase from 2024 to 2027.
App Uninstall Statistics
13. Annoying Notification is the main reason people uninstall mobile apps.
In 2021, 71% of mobile app users uninstalled apps due to annoying notifications, while 68% uninstalled apps due to complex registration. The table below shows the top seven reasons mobile users uninstall their apps.
|Reason||Uninstall Percentage (%)|
|Forced social logins||19|
14. 68% of United States mobile gamers deleted the app because it was not relevant anymore.
In the same survey conducted in Q2 2022 in the United States, 44% of gamers said they got bored with the app, while 38% said it was because of poor user experience.
35% deleted apps because of low storage; the same number said they only needed the app for a specific task.
15. Argentina had the highest rate of Android apps uninstalled rate globally in 2022.
Argentina had a 51.8% rate of Android app uninstalled globally, followed by Turkey with 51.4% and Vietnam with a 48% rate. Indonesia and Thailand grabbed the fourth and fifth spots with 45.6% and 45.4%.
16. Android gaming apps had the highest uninstalled rate among app categories in 2022.
Android gaming apps had a 65.87% uninstall rate, followed by social apps with 59.71%, and educational apps with a 53.4%.
Apps Downloads Statistics
17. The number of global annual mobile app downloads hit 255 billion in 2022.
This figure saw a rise of around 10% from 2021, a year that attracted 230 annual mobile app downloads. 2021 also got 12 billion more downloads compared to the previous year.
18. Apple App Store and Google Play apps hit 3.2 billion downloads in Q4 2021.
The number rose to 36.8 billion downloads in Q1 2022 before dropping to 35 billion in Q2 2022. As of Q4 2022, the number of downloads hit 35.5 billion.
19. TikTok had 99 million downloads in the United States in 2022.
Instagram was the second most downloaded app in the United States, with 72 million downloads, followed by Cash App with 64 million.
20. Subway Surfers had 51.4 million downloads in the United States in 2022.
The second most downloaded gaming app in the United States was Roblox, with 51 million downloads, followed by Stumble Guys, with 34 million.
21. Uber had 32 million downloads in the United States in 2022.
Google Maps was the second most download traveling app, with 30 million downloads, while Lyft grabbed position three with 19.9 million.
22. Amazon was the most downloaded shopping app, with 47 million downloads in the United States in 2022.
SHEIN was second with 40 million downloads, followed by Walmart with 32 million downloads. Fetch and Shop came fourth and fifth with 23.2 and 22.9 million downloads.
23. Stumble Guys had the most downloads in the Google Play Store in Italy.
The Stumble Guys Android app hit 705,621 downloads in September 2022 in Italy, followed by BeReal wth 390,352 downloads and Amazon Shopping with 379,999 downloads.
24. TikTok was the most downloaded app globally in 2022.
TikTok attracted 672 million downloads in 2022, followed by Instagram with 548 million, and WhatsApp with 424 million. The table below shows the top five most downloaded apps in 2022.
|App||Number of Downloads (In Millions)|
25. Subway Surfers was the most downloaded gaming app globally in 2022.
In 2022, the Subway Surfers gaming app garnered 304 million downloads, followed by Stumble Guys with 254 million, and Roblox with 208 million downloads.
26. Shopee was the most downloaded shopping app globally in 2021.
Shopee shopping app attracted 203 million downloads in 2021, followed by Shein with 109 million, and Meshoo with 153 million downloads.
27. China had the highest number of mobile app downloads in 2021.
China had 98.38 billion downloads of mobile apps in 2021, followed by India with 26.69 billion, and the United States with 12.19 billion.
28. Google Maps was the most downloaded traveling app globally in 2022.
Google Maps had 113 million downloads, followed by Uber, with 107 million, and Booking.com with 80 million downloads. Airbnb and Google Earth came fourth and fifth with 52 million and 51 million downloads, respectively.
29. Netflix was the second-most downloaded entertainment app globally in 2022.
TikTok took the first spot with 672 million downloads, followed by Netflix with 165 million, and YouTube was third with 154 million downloads.
30. PhonePe was the most downloaded finance app globally in 2022.
PhonePe had 94 million downloads in 2022, followed by PayPal with 92 million, and Google Pay with 69 million downloads.
31. Capital One was the most downloaded banking app in the United States in 2022.
Capital One had 16.1 million downloads, followed by Chime, with 13.5 million in the United States. The table below shows the top five most downloaded banking apps in the United States in 2022.
|Bank of Africa||10|
32. McDonald’s was the most downloaded food and drinks app globally in 2022.
McDonald’s had 127 million downloads worldwide, with Uber Eats taking the second spot with 60 million downloads. DoorDash was third most with 42 million downloads, and Starbucks came fourth with 34 million.
33. Tinder was the most downloaded dating app globally in 2022.
In 2022, Tinder attracted 64 million downloads, followed by Bumble with 28 million, and Badoo with 26 million downloads.
34. Duolingo was the most downloaded educational app globally in 2022.
Duolingo had 98 million downloads globally in 2022, Toca Life World came second with 72 million, and Photomath was third with 42 million downloads.
35. WhatsApp Business had the highest downloads globally among business apps in 2022.
The app had 198 million downloads, followed by Zoom with 163 million, and Microsoft Teams with 111 million downloads. Tencent chat was the fourth with 75 million downloads, and Google Meet came fifth with 66 million.
36. Spotify was the most downloaded music and video app globally in 2022.
Spotify had 238 million downloads globally in 2022, followed by StarMaker with 96 million and Shazam with 79 million downloads. YouTube Music grabbed the fourth spot with 65 million, and Resso Music came fifth with 61 million downloads.
37. Sweatcoin had 52 million downloads globally in 2022.
Blood Pressure App was the second most downloaded health and fitness app globally, with 51 million downloads in 2022. PeduliLindungi was the third most downloaded, with 43 million, and Home Workouts came fourth, with 34 million.
App Engagement Statistics
38. 69% of people launched finance apps 5 times or fewer in 30 days in 2022.
17% of people launched finance apps 10 times or more in 30 days in 2022.
72% of people launched healthcare apps 5 times or fewer, and 17% launched 10 times or more in 30 days.
39. Finance apps had the most interaction in 2022.
Finance apps had a 38% interaction rate in 2022, followed by media and entertainment apps with 29%, and retail apps took the third spot with 22%.
Traveling and healthcare apps grabbed the fourth and fifth positions with 18% and 17% interaction rates.
Popular Apps Statistics
40. WeChat was the most popular app in China in 2022.
WeChat attracted over 1 billion monthly active users, followed by Douyin with around 760 million and QQ with 750 million monthly active users.
AliPay came fourth with 680 million, and Baidu was fifth with 607 million.
41. WhatsApp was the most popular mobile messaging app based on monthly active users in 2022.
WhatsApp attracted 2 billion monthly active users globally as of January 2022, followed by WeChat with over 1.2 billion. Facebook Messenger came third with 988 million, and QQ took fourth with 574 million monthly active users.
42. BBC News was the most popular news app in the UK based on downloads.
In 2022, the BBC News app attracted 908k downloads, followed by Sky News with 607k downloads. Opera News and Breaking News took the third and fourth spots, garnering 332k and 207k downloads, respectively.
43. News Break was the most popular news app in the United States in terms of downloads.
News Break garnered 7.1 million downloads in the United States in 2022, followed by Smart News which attracted 2.3 million downloads. Local News and Opera News apps came third with 1.8 million downloads each.
44. WhatsApp was the most popular Android app in Google Play Store in 2022.
WhatsApp had attracted over 8.4 billion downloads by 2022, Facebook took the second spot with 6.95 billion downloads, and Facebook Messenger came third with 5.67 billion downloads.
App Developers Statistics
45. 82% of mobile app developers were males in 2022.
Females represented 18% of the total mobile developers globally in 2022.
In 2021, 82.01% of app developers were males, while 17.99% were females.
46. Over half of the total app developers in 2022 were white.
Whites represented 52.5% of the total app developers, followed by Asians with 29.9%, and Latinos came third with 8.2%. Those with unknown race represented 4.8%, African Americans took 4.4%, and American Indians were 0.2% of the total app developers.
47. Most of the app developers were aged 40+ in 2022.
Nine in every 20 app developer were aged 40+ years, 36% were aged between 30 and 40 years, and 18% were aged between 20 and 30 years.
48. 71% of app developers had a bachelor's degree in 2022.
Around three in every 20 app developer had a Masters degree, 9% had associates, and one in every 50 developers had High school diploma or other degrees.
49. 39.3% of app developers spoke in Spanish in 2022.
17.9% of developers spoke French, 7.1% spoke Portuguese, Germany, and Japanese, and 21.5% spoke other languages.
Apple App Store Statistics
50. Apple App Store had 262,343 available gaming apps in Q3 2021.
The number rose to 275,013 gaming apps between October and December 2021.
As of Q1 2022, the figure had hit 288,153 gaming apps and rose to 295,676 apps in Q2 2022 before dropping to 208,360 between July and September 2022.
51. The Apple App Store's most popular category in 2021 was gaming apps.
Between July and September, gaming apps made up a share of 12.68% of all available Apple Apps. Business apps took the second spot with a 10.35% share, and Education apps grabbed the third position with 9.97%. Below are the top ten most popular categories in the Apple App Store in 2021.
|Category||Percentage Share (%)|
|Food and drinks||6.58|
|Health and Fitness||5.08|
52. Q3 2021 saw a 5.83% growth in mobile apps in the Apple App Store globally.
In Q4 2021, Apple App Store saw a 5.37% growth in mobile apps and 5.2% in Q1 2022. Q2 2022 saw a lower growth of 3.53% compared to the previous two quarters, and Q3 2022 registered a decrease of 24.8%.
53. The average overall app price on the Apple App Store in 2022 was $0.8.
The average price of an app in the Apple App Store was $0.8 in 2022, while the average gaming app price was $0.49 as of September 2022.
54. The Apple App Store had over 1 million gaming and over 3.8 million non-gaming apps in October 2022.
September 2022 also had almost a similar number, with over 1 million gaming and over 3.8 million non-gaming apps.
Google Play Store Statistics
55. Google Play Store had over 3.5 million apps in 2022.
Between July and September 2022, Google Play Store had 3,553,050 apps, followed by Apple App Store with 1,642,759 apps. Amazon Appstore grabbed the third position with 483,328 apps in Q3 2022.
56. The Google Play Store had over 4.2 million available apps in Q3 2021.
Between October and December 2021, Google Play Store had over 4.6 million apps available before dropping to over 3.2 million between January and March 2022.
Q2 2022 saw an increase to over 3.5 million available apps compared to the previous quarter.
57. Al Assistant is the newest, most downloaded Google Play Store app in 2023.
Al Assistant has garnered over 100 million downloads in the last 30 days, followed by 92 Lock Screen for realme with over 5 million downloads.
GM Watch, MX Grau, Street Fighter: Duel, and Camera Scanner – Body Simulator attracted over 1 million downloads each.
58. Angry Birds is the oldest Android app in Google Play Store.
“Angry Birds” was the first application to be released when Google’s Android operating system was introduced in March 2008. As of March 2022, the app has hit over 100 million downloads.
59. 127,046 apps in the Google Play Store have more than 4.5-star ratings in 2023.
143,303 apps have between 4 to 4.5-star ratings, followed by 82,526 apps with 3.5 to 4-star ratings and 48,106 apps with 3 to 3.5-star ratings.
23,326 apps have 2.5 to 3-star ratings, 22,881 apps have less than 2.5-star ratings, and over 2.2 million have no rating.
Free vs. Paid Apps Statistics
60. The Google Play Store had 96.9% free, and 3.1% paid apps in November 2022.
In June 2022, Google Play Store had 96.8% free apps, while 3.2% were paid.
The Table below shows a comparison between free and paid apps for 2021 and 2022.
|Period||Free Apps (%)||Paid Apps (%)|
61. 95% of educational apps are free, while 5% are paid in Google Play Store in 2023.
There are 260,831 free Android educational apps and 13,025 paid apps as of March 2023.
Other App Statistics
62. In 2022, the global retention rate for Android apps was 22.6% on the first day of installation.
On day 3, the global retention rate for Android apps was 10.6%; on day 7, the rate was 6.5%. Day 14 saw a retention rate of 4.3%, while day 30 had a rate of 2.6%.
63. The Nokia “Snake” game was the first Mobile app.
The basic arcade game “Snake” had a built-in version in the Nokia 6110 in 1997.
App statistics, facts, and trends are crucial for developers, businesses, and consumers. Understanding the current landscape of the app market can inform development decisions, marketing strategies, and user behavior.