There are over 600 million active blogs on the internet today, which illustrates how important they are for individuals and companies.
The personal blogging industry has been very transformative. In fact, many bloggers have turned their personal blogs into successful businesses or used them to land lucrative opportunities in their industry.
So, if you’ve been considering starting a blog but need more information before making that step, here are informative blogging statistics, facts and trends to get you started.
Top 8 Blogging Statistics (Editor’s Pick)
- Six million blogs were published daily in 2022.
- 25% of new blogs in 2021 were Lifestyle blogs.
- The average bounce rate for blogs as of January 2023 is 50.9%.
- Organic SEO traffic was the most important for bloggers in 2022.
- The average blog post length was 1376 words in 2022.
- Male bloggers earned higher than women in 2021.
- Food bloggers made 42% of their money from ads in 2021.
- Americans contributed the highest traffic to Blogger.com in 2022.
General Blogging Stats
1. Links.net was the first blog ever created.
In 1994, Justin Hall created what is regarded as the first-ever blog.
The website mainly consisted of random brief posts about his thoughts, works, and the websites he liked visiting.
2. The term “blog” was first used in 1999.
In 1997, Jorn Barger came up with the term “weblog” to describe the early blog sites.
This was then shortened to “blog” by Peter Morholz in 1999, and the name has stuck ever since.
3. Blogger was one of the first blogging platforms created.
The platform was launched in 1999 by Meg Houriham and Evan Williams to allow people to publish their blogs online. Google eventually acquired Blogger in 2003.
4. WordPress was launched in 2003.
Matt Mullenweg, an American blogger, created WordPress in 2003 alongside Mike Little, a British blogger. WordPress has grown to become one of the biggest platforms for blogging.
5. Six million blogs were published daily in 2022.
This translated to about 2.5 billion blogs in a year.
6. Dot.com is the most popular domain extension for blogs as of 2022.
Domains ending with .com were the most trusted by blog readers worldwide in 2022, followed by .co, .org, and .us.
|Domain Extension||Trust Rating|
7. .com blog domains were the most memorable in 2022.
Blog readers in 2022 correctly memorized and remembered the .com URLs they came across 44% of the time. .co came second with 33% and .org third with 32%.
8. Social Media was used the most to promote blogging content.
90% of bloggers used social media sites to boost the readership of their blog posts in 2022. 66% used SEO and email marketing, 12% used paid services, and 8% of bloggers collaborated with influencers.
9. Tumblr is home to over 500 million blogs.
Tumblr outranks WordPress regarding blog numbers, with over 500 million active blogs as of March 2023. WordPress hosts about 60 million blogs only.
Blog Content Statistics
10. English is the most used language for WordPress blogs.
WordPress supports over 120 languages. 71% of WordPress blogs are written in English.
|Language||Percentage of Use|
11. 25% of new blogs in 2021 were Lifestyle blogs.
Lifestyle blogs were the most likely blog niche to be created in 2021, accounting for 25% of all new blogs in that period. This was followed by Travel blogs (18%) and Food (13%).
12. Only 1 in 4 bloggers added a video in their articles in 2022.
23% of bloggers used videos in their work in 2022, down 1% compared to 2021.
In addition, videos increased engagement metrics more than four times on average.
13. “Everything You Need to Know" is the best-performing blog title as of January 2023.
Other article types that attracted organic traffic include Comparison articles, Top 10 lists, How Guides, Mistakes to Avoid, and Questions.
14. More bloggers are updating old content in 2022 than before.
73% of bloggers in 2022 updated their old content compared to 71% in 2021 and 70% in 2020. This boosted their probability of reporting strong results 2.8 times.
Blogs & Marketing Stats
15. The average bounce rate for blogs as of January 2023 is 50.9%.
Travel blogs had the highest bouncing rates at 82.58%, while the real estate niche had the lowest at 40.78%.
|Blog Niche||Bounce Rate|
|Business & Finance||63.51%|
16. Blogs were extensively used in marketing in 2022.
36% of top marketing channels were done through blogs in 2022.
Only Social Media channels were higher with 44%. SEO marketing was 6th with 26%.
17. Blogs were the second-most used media format by marketers in 2022.
Blogs accounted for 48% of the media formats used by marketers to push their brands in 2022.
|Media Format||Percentage of Use (2022)|
18. B2B brands were more likely to use blogs in 2022.
Other resources used by B2B brands besides blogs include case studies, interviews, and white papers.
Blog SEO Statistics
19. Using Google Analytics boosted results for bloggers in 2022.
Bloggers who used Google Analytics more frequently in 2022 were 78% more likely to rank better on SERPs.
20. Content marketing industry to hit $584.02 billion in 2027.
This includes using blogs, videos, infographics, and case studies.
21. 69% of marketers invested in SEO blogging in 2021.
This was a 5% increase from 2021. However, most content marketers are gradually moving away from SEO optimization.
22. 1-in-3 marketers as of January 2023 are using blogs and personal websites to push their brand.
They’re also using SEO content to land in the top SERPs, with another 32% using email marketing.
23. Organic SEO traffic was the most important for bloggers in 2022.
71% of bloggers in 2022 valued organic SEO traffic higher than other traffic sources. Social media came second with 58%, then email marketing (44%), direct traffic (42%), referral traffic (26%), and paid traffic (7%).
Blog Writing Statistics
24. It took about 4 hours to produce a single blog post in 2022.
On average, it took a blogger 4 hours and 10 minutes to create a single blog.
That represented 74% more time compared to blog writing in 2014.
25. Time constraints were the most significant challenge faced by bloggers in 2022.
52% of bloggers in 2022 claimed that finding time to create and promote content was the biggest challenge they faced.
|Challenges Facing Bloggers||Percentage of Bloggers|
|Finding time to create & promote content||52%|
|Getting traffic and organic visitors||46%|
|Creating consistent & quality content||39%|
|Creating enough content consistently||33%|
|Generating relevant topics||22%|
|Getting external support||13%|
26. Working with editors improved blogging results in 2022.
21% of bloggers edited their work, while 42% used multiple formal editors in 2022. Bloggers who worked with professional editors were 90% more likely to get better results.
27. List articles drive more traffic than other blog posts.
Listicles attracted 80% more traffic for blogs in 2021. The trustworthiness of the information, how the headlines stand out, and the categorization of the subject are the key factors behind this.
28. How-To-Articles was the most published content in 2022.
76% of blog posts in 2022 were How-to articles, as bloggers considered them more practical and resourceful.
|Content Format||Publishing Frequency|
|Guides long-form eBooks||43%|
|News and Trends||43%|
29. Guides and eBooks were the most effective blog content formats.
Gated content and guides were tied at 35% as the most effective content to get bloggers better-ranking results. Opinion pieces were ranked the lowest at 25%.
Blog Length & Frequency Stats
30. The average blog post length was 1376 words in 2022.
The length of blogs has steadily increased from an average of 808 words in 2014 to 1,376 words in 2022. Only 4% of bloggers produce long-form blogs with over 3000 words.
31. 22% of bloggers in 2021 posted content at least once weekly.
Only 2% of responding bloggers managed to post daily.
32. The ideal blog is about 2400 words long.
As of January 2023, the perfect blog capable of getting better results was between 1,760 and 2,400 words long. Google algorithms are known to favor longer content.
33. Publishing more returned better results for bloggers in 2022.
Blog writers who published content 2-6 times a week were 50% more likely to register better organic results in 2022.
34. Original research content improved blogging results in 2022.
Bloggers who researched to produce original content were 42% more likely to reap better organic search results than others.
35. Longer articles got better traffic than shorter ones in 2022.
Articles longer than 3000 words were 53% more likely to get better results compared to 500-word articles, which were 21% more likely to score better organic traffic.
36. Women blogged more than men in 2021.
67.1% of American bloggers in 2021 were women, while the remaining 32.9% were men.
37. Male bloggers earned higher than women in 2021.
Female bloggers earned 97 cents for every dollar earned by their male counterparts in 2021 in the United States. The average income of male bloggers stood at $60,305, while female bloggers raked in $58,743 on average.
38. Whites blogged more than any other race in 2021.
74.83% of bloggers in the United States in 2021 were white. Hispanics and Latinos accounted for 7.92%, African Americans (6.18%), and then Asian Americans (5.06%).
39. The blogger wage gap by race wasn’t that wide in 2021.
White bloggers in the United States made an average annual salary of about $59,756. This was slightly lower than the $59,797 that African Americans made.
Hispanic bloggers raked in $59,222, while Asian American bloggers averaged $58,702.
40. 40+ was the dominant average age of a blogger in 2021.
52% of American bloggers in 2021 were older than 40 years. This was followed by the 30-40 age group at 30% and the 20-30 age group at 18%.
41. Most bloggers had a bachelor's degree in 2021.
78% of bloggers in the United States in 2021 had a bachelor’s degree.
|High School Diploma||3%|
Blog Readership Statistics
42. 409 million people view WordPress blogs.
Currently, over 20 billion pages of WordPress blogs are viewed by over 409 million people every month.
43. Food was the highest blog traffic niche in 2021.
Food, travel, arts, and lifestyle were the top 4 highest-traffic niches accounting for 74% of the organic search results.
44. Recipe posts were the most significant traffic driver in 2021.
Food and Lifestyle blogs in 2021 got most of their traffic from recipe-related blog posts.
45. Quality Content is what made blogs look credible in 2021.
Quality content accounted for 30% of a blog’s authenticity. This was followed by sound design (17%), consistent content publishing (15%), and a strong social media presence (13%).
Blogging Income Statistics
46. Food bloggers made 42% of their money from ads in 2021.
Affiliates brought in 10% of the total income, post sponsors brought in 11%, and courses were responsible for 25% of the income of food blogging.
47. Food bloggers had the highest monthly income in 2021.
They led the rest of the pack with an average monthly income of $9,169.
This was followed by personal finance bloggers ($9,100), lifestyle/mommy bloggers ($5,174), and travel bloggers ($5,000).
48. Mediavine was the most used ad network by bloggers in 2021.
It accounted for 40% of all the ad services used by pro bloggers.
This was followed by AdThrive (32%), AdSense (21%), and Monumetric (8%).
49. Blogging influencers earned, on average, $549 per post in 2021.
This was derived from the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States for blogging influencers with a domain authority score of 50 and above.
50. Blogger unemployment rate was highest in 2021 in the United States.
The figure stood at 7.01%. It was 6.81% in 2020 and 5.71% in 2019.
The last time the figure hit 7% was in 2014.
Blog Statistics by Country
51. Sina Weibo was China’s biggest microblogging site in 2022.
It had over 336.5 million monthly users in December 2022 alone.
QZone came a distant second with only 13.99 million monthly users in the same month.
52. 4% of Polish people had an active online blog as of 2022.
This was a slight decrease compared to 2021, where 5% of the Polish people ran a personal blog, vlog, or website.
53. Americans contributed the highest traffic to Blogger.com in 2022.
In the first six months of 2022, 20.56% of Blogger.com visitors were from the United States. This was followed by India (6.77%), Brazil (6.55%), Indonesia (4.76%), and Spain (4.51%).
54. The United States accounted for 46.37% of Tumblr traffic in 2022.
This was followed by the United Kingdom (5.94%), Canada (5.07%), Australia (3.2%), and Germany (3.1%).
55. 27% of young Brazilians had a blog or web page as of 2022.
A chunk of Brazilians aged between 16 and 24 had an active blog between October 2021 and March 2022. This was an increase of 2% compared to the previous year.
56. Children and young adults were ardent blog readers in the UK in 2022.
26% of children aged between 5 to 18 years were among the most common readers of blogs and similar forums in the United Kingdom in 2022. This was 10% higher compared to 2010.
57. UNDERBARACLARA is the biggest blog in Sweden in 2023 so far.
The blog is aimed at readers who love feminist content and crooked country roads.
The blog gets over 180,000 visitors per week.
58. 35 - 44-year-olds in Finland were the most active blog readers in 2022.
They accounted for 52% of active blog readers in the country.
This was followed by the 45 – 54 age group at 48%. 75 – 89-year-olds were the least active blog readers.
Guest Blogging Statistics
59. 7% of bloggers pitched to more than 100 blogs per month in 2021.
Very few bloggers attempted to pitch over 100 blogs in a month in 2021.
50% of responders only pitched between 1 to 10 blogs in a month.
60. 60% of bloggers wrote between 1-5 guest blogs per month in 2021.
Another 3% of the responders claimed to write over 25 guest posts in a month in 2021. Another 10% wrote between 11 and 25 guest posts, while 275 bloggers wrote between 6 and 10 guest posts.
61. Blogs charged guest post placement in 2022.
The average cost of each guest post in 2022 was $77.8.
62. 13.3% of blog sites charged for guest posts in 2022.
Another 12.2% of blogs didn’t ask for any money after pitching was done, while a majority of blogs (74.4%) didn’t respond to pitches.
63. Finance blogs were the most likely to sell guest posts in 2022.
Finance blogs sold 32% of guest blogs in 2022. Other niches involved in selling guest posts included Fashion (20%), Photography (20%), Travel (20%), and Food (18%).
Blogging isn’t slowing down anytime soon. There are countless blog hosting options to choose from and more than enough niches to explore. So, it’s never too late to start a blog, especially if you want to diversify your income or boost your business.
Check our WordPress statistics next to start comparing blogging platforms.