Whether you are a brand, social media manager, or an influencer, you may want to use Instagram to build your brand presence but need relevant data to back up your brand campaign. According to Instagram statistics, your favorite social media app will have 2.5 billion monthly users by 2023.
Here is more from where that came.
Top 9 Instagram Stats for 2023 (Editor’s Pick)
- Over 50 billion photos and videos have been shared on Instagram by 2023.
- In 2021, Instagram generated an estimated $47.6 billion, nearly half of Meta’s total revenue.
- Instagram was downloaded 64 million times in the United States in 2021.
- Female users comprised 49.3% of Instagram’s audience in 2022.
- As of May 2022, 33% of respondents polled in the US had a good impression of Instagram.
- Over 200 million business profiles exist on Instagram in 2023.
- The most popular brands published 17 Instagram Stories monthly in 2022.
- 93% of brand marketers planned to use Instagram for influencer marketing in 2021.
- Around 5.6% of Instagram users engaged with nano influencers in 2022.
General Instagram Usage Statistics
1. 500 million daily active users (DAUs) were engaging with Instagram Stories in 2021.
As of 2021, Instagram had about one-third of its overall user base interacting with Stories daily.
2. As of January 2022, Instagram had over 1.4 billion monthly active users (MAUs).
In contrast, the platform had only 90 million active users in 2013.
Only Facebook, YouTube, and WhatsApp had more daily active users than Instagram.
|Social Media Platform||Monthly Active Users|
4. In 2023, Instagram became the 4th most visited website worldwide.
With 6.5 billion visitors and a 34.72% bounce rate, Instagram is one of the top-visited websites.
As of December 2022, the most popular post was from Lionel Messi @leomessi.
It featured images of the World Cup victory with close to 74.2 million likes.
Boasting over 547 million downloads, it led the top three of WhatsApp (424 million downloads) and Telegram.
7. As of April 2022, US Instagram users spent about 30 minutes on the app daily.
In contrast, users averaged over 45 minutes daily on TikTok and YouTube, almost 35 minutes daily on Twitter, and 30.4 minutes on Snapchat. Thus, leaving Facebook and Instagram to tie in fifth place.
8. 90% of Instagram users follow at least one brand.
Over 60% (2 in 3) of users also claim Instagram makes it easier to interact with brands.
9. Zara had the most Instagram brand mentions in H1 2022.
The brand name came up in 15,000 posts. In second and third places were SHEIN (11,200) and Nike (7,400).
10. Instagram generated an estimated $47.6 billion in 2021, nearly half of Meta's total revenue.
This represented 44% of Meta Platforms’ revenue in 2021 and may overtake Facebook as the company’s top revenue generator in 2024.
11. Instagram users increased by 383 million globally between 2019 and 2021.
By 2022, Instagram was used by over one-third of all global social network users.
12. Instagram users are projected to increase at a rate of 5.47% in 2023.
This is slower than the 5.79% growth in 2022. In 2024, Instagram’s user growth may slow marginally.
Roughly 20% of Instagram users logged in every day. Additionally, 59% said they logged in less frequently.
14. 38% of adult Instagram users in the US used the platform multiple times daily in 2021.
Almost six in ten adult Instagram users in the United States used the platform once daily, while 41% used it less frequently.
Instagram Demographic Insights
15. India, with almost 230 million users, had the most Instagram audience worldwide in January 2023.
India had 73 million Instagram users in 2019, more than doubling in only three years to about 230 million Instagram users by January 2023.
The tabled countries followed it:
|Countries||Instagram Users (Millions)|
|United States of America||143.35|
16. Brunei has 74.1% of its population on Instagram in 2023.
This makes Brunei the country with the highest penetration rate.
This was followed by Kazakhstan (72.5%) in second place, and Bahrain (72%) rounds up the top three.
17. Instagram was downloaded 64 million times in the United States in 2021.
It managed 12 million downloads in the UK to clinch 7th place globally.
Meanwhile, Instagram scored 178 million downloads in India to become the second-most popular app after MX TakaTak.
Instagram Statistics by Age and Gender
18. Nearly 31% of global active Instagram users in 2023 are between the ages of 18 to 24.
30.3% of users are aged 25 – 34, while 15.7% are in the 35 to 44 age range.
19. Female users comprised 49.3% of Instagram's audience in 2022.
Thus, men had a 50.7% share as of January 2022.
20. Globally, almost 71% of Instagram users were between 13 and 34 as of April 2022.
However, the percentage of Instagram users over 35 has grown in the past few years.
Users by Generation - Gen Z, Millenials, Gen X, Baby Boomers
21. As of May 2022, 33% of respondents polled in the US had a good impression of Instagram.
Only 16% of users thought the social networking platform was highly favorable. Conversely, 9% had a negative image of Instagram.
22. Around 76% of Gen Zers used Instagram in 2022, only behind YouTube’s usage.
Of these, 76% of male Gen Zers and 80% of female Gen Zers could be found on Instagram.
23. Gen Z and millennials formed 62% of Instagram's audience in 2022.
Instagram users were mainly Gen Z and millennials between 18 and 34, representing 62% of the Instagram user base in April 2022.
24. Instagram continued its popularity among teenagers in 2022.
73% of teenagers aged 15 to 17 used the app regularly, unlike 45% of teens aged 13 to 14.
Instagram Marketing & Business Statistics
25. Over 200 million business profiles exist on Instagram in 2023.
Likewise, 7 in 10 consumers find purchasing inspiration on Instagram.
26. Instagram business accounts averaged 0.98% monthly follower growth in Q4 2022.
Similarly, the average interaction rate for business accounts with fewer than 10,000 followers was 1.11%.
27. In 2023, Instagram's ad revenue is expected to hit $50.58 billion.
However, it still falls short of Facebook’s $71.32 billion projection.
28. In 2022, Instagram's advertising income was around $33.3 billion.
The ad income is expected to reach $39.7 billion in 2023, up 19.4%.
29. The most popular brands published 17 Instagram Stories monthly in 2022.
Likewise, one in two people used Instagram to find new brands in 2022.
30. In 2022, Instagram business accounts published an average of 1.71 feed posts daily.
For the typical Instagram Business account, images comprised 48.9% of all main feed posts, videos contributed 31.8%, and carousel posts were 19.3%.
31. 93% of brand marketers planned to use Instagram for influencer marketing in 2021.
Likewise, 83% of brand marketers planned on using Instagram Stories for marketing in 2021, while another 37% wanted to use Instagram Reels.
32. Around 5.6% of Instagram users engaged with nano influencers in 2022.
Hence, micro-influencers with 10,000 to 50,000 followers are especially important for brand collaborations.
Fact Sheet: Instagram Trends and Facts
33. Instagram has about 37 million active influencers in 2023.
Instagram influencers can earn more from brands if they have a considerable following. But unlike larger accounts, Instagram accounts with a small dedicated following have higher engagement rates.
34. Instagram Stories had a projected ad audience of 996 million people as of Q4 2022.
For context, the main feed has a 1.32 billion potential ad audience.
35. Instagram had 95 million fake bot accounts in 2021.
As of 2022, bots may have accounted for up to 9.5% of the social media platform’s users, costing marketers about $1.3 billion yearly.
36. Instagram Reels had a potential ad audience of 758.5 million people in Q4 2022.
That was up 0.5% from the 754.8 million users that Meta’s ad planning tools estimated in July 2022.
37. 46% of Instagram marketers wanted to boost revenue in 2022.
Whereas 69% of marketers wanted to increase brand recognition, and 74% wanted to reach a new audience.
38. As of December 2022, the average fee for an Instagram influencer collaboration was $363.
However, some brands negotiated hard to bring the average down to $183.
39. With 550 million followers, Cristiano Ronaldo was the most popular Instagram user as of February 2023.
In second was Lionel Messi (432M), then Kylie Jenner (380M), Selena Gomez (379M), Dwayne Johnson (365M), and Ariana Grande (357M) rounded up the top six.
Similarly, 44% of those polled in 2021 shopped weekly using Instagram tools such as the Shop Tab and shopping tags.
41. 82% of surveyed influencers globally provided services on Instagram in 2022.
In contrast, around 61% of influencers used TikTok to market their services.
42. Users averaged 11.7 hours a month on Instagram in 2022.
That is nearly half a day each month spent watching content on Instagram.
43. An estimated 15 of the top 20 most popular tracks on Instagram Reels were by Indian singers.
The top songs on this list include Srivalli by Javed Ali; Baarish Main Tum by Neha Kakkar; Kesariya by Pritam Arijit Singh and Amitabh Bhattacharya; Gypsy by GD Kaur; and the theme music for KGF 2, among others.
Instagram Engagement Statistics
44. Compared to Facebook, Instagram has 58% better engagement per follower.
In 2022, people spent about 30 minutes daily on Instagram, helping raise the engagement rate.
45. As of 2022, 11 am on Wednesdays was the best time to post on Instagram.
Weekdays saw higher activity from Instagram users, especially Wednesdays and Thursdays. The 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM timeframe was ideal for maximum engagement on any weekday.
46. Instagram accounts with less than 5,000 followers had the best Reels interaction rates between 2021-2022.
Instagram accounts with 0–5,000 followers enjoyed a 3.79% engagement rate on their Reels. They were followed by accounts with 5-10,000 followers (3.72%).
19% of top Instagram impressions came (each) from hashtags, explorers, and profiles in 2022.
Another 66% of marketers used Instagram’s hashtag suggestions to select which hashtags to use, while 58% looked at accounts that posted similar content to determine which hashtags could leverage visibility.
In 2022, #love had 2.1 billion posts, and #instagood had 1.5 billion posts to clinch the top two places.
|Instagram Hashtags||Post Count|
50. Around 85% of business owners documented their Instagram hashtag strategy in 2022.
81% of marketers felt hashtags were helpful for their Instagram strategy, and another 82% used hashtags for their Instagram marketing.
Insights and Potential Reach for Instagram Ads
51. 35% of Instagram users will purchase on the platform in 2023.
But remember that purchase habits differ by demographic, where Instagram is the leading social commerce network for Generation Z.
52. 15% of US online shoppers started their buying journey on Instagram in 2022.
Furthermore, Instagram had a 51.4% ad penetration in the United States.
The United Kingdom and Canada had 51.9% and 49.4%, respectively, in 2022.
53. In 2023, Instagram's ad growth rate will surpass Facebook’s.
Instagram’s ad revenue will increase by 12.1% in 2023, while Facebook’s will decrease by 1.2%.
54. Instagram advertising could reach 76% of Turkey's 13+ population.
Turkey had the world’s highest Instagram ad penetration rate, followed by Argentina (66.5%) and Brazil (65.9%) in 2022.
Leverage Instagram for Business Success
These statistics span cultures, genders, and age groups, making it easier to package your brand and put your product before the right audiences.
However, Instagram does not have a monopoly on the social media market.